turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Certain guns wont shoot certain shells?

Started by ugaDAWGS09, March 07, 2019, 04:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugaDAWGS09

I got an A5 and have been working on patterning the gun for season. I've been shooting LB #6 3 1/2 inch shells and have been shooting low so I mounted a set of William's firesights in to fix it. Well they worked great with my low brass and had those dialed in at 20 yards in about 5 shots but no matter what I do the LB shells still shoot low. I maxed the sight out to raise my point of impact and it hasn't moved at all. I'm going to give up on these shells and try some 3 inch this weekend.

coyote1

If you can, try mounting the rear sight farther forward on the rib. If that doesn't raise poi, install a shorter front bead.

Ctrize

A lot of variables, twenty yards is close.What type of choke are you using ? We had a Benelli that shot everything low and was ready to chalk it up to a bad barrel  finally went to a red dot sight which had enough movement and the gun is now on. If you can move those sights enough you should see improvement.

ugaDAWGS09

Ok it's a Sumtoy choke. Has a great pattern with the shells just keeps shooting low on me.

spaightlabs

Odd that the shells that don't have any recoil shoot where you point and the boomers don't.

You shooting from a sled?  If someone else shoots it do they get the same results?

model94

Red Dot or Scope. That fixed my problem with my 1300.

slicksbeagles1

Call Williams and tell them what's going on and they my send you a different base they have always been good to me with help

Turkeyslayer7

Need to at least step it back to 30-40 to see what your adjustments are doing. Also a red dot is where it's at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ugaDAWGS09

I'm shooting from my Turkey lounger but I just don't think the recoil is causing me to shoot that low at 15 yards. It's strange that adjusting the sight isnt really adjusting the POI with the LB shell. I dont have a lead sled to use so this is my next best option. I would love a red dot but dont want to drill and tap my shotgun. I'm wondering if I should just get some different shells maybe 3 inch LBs or Hevi-7s.

ShootingABN!

Quote from: ugaDAWGS09 on March 07, 2019, 10:24:24 PM
I'm shooting from my Turkey lounger but I just don't think the recoil is causing me to shoot that low at 15 yards. It's strange that adjusting the sight isnt really adjusting the POI with the LB shell. I dont have a lead sled to use so this is my next best option. I would love a red dot but dont want to drill and tap my shotgun. I'm wondering if I should just get some different shells maybe 3 inch LBs or Hevi-7s.

No drilling? Did you look up a saddle mount? Just push out two receiver pins. Slide mount over gun. Replace pins with screws provided....

Just an option.

Good luck and happy hunting.

ugaDAWGS09

Quote from: ShootingABN! on March 08, 2019, 08:51:58 AM
Quote from: ugaDAWGS09 on March 07, 2019, 10:24:24 PM

No drilling? Did you look up a saddle mount? Just push out two receiver pins. Slide mount over gun. Replace pins with screws provided....

Just an option.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Thanks I didn't know this was an option for the A5.

bigbird

Try a different choke. I had an Indian Creek tube for my SBE II and it made everything shoot low and left. It was also quite a bit tighter shooting than the other ones. I put my comp n choke or jelly head back in it and it shot dead on with the factory beads.

shaman

Let me throw in a word of warning here.    Be careful with mounting a scope and figuring your problems will be over.

I've had a shotgun that performed pretty much like this.  I mounted a scope and thought life would be good.  If I remember, I sighted in dead on at 20 yards.  I missed at 10 yards at would have been my first gobbler.

What I forgot was parallax.  Dead on at 20 made me 6" high 10 yards and the wad went right over the gobs head.  With that kind of deviation,  about the only time the pattern and the scope were in sync was at the sight-in distance.

My point here is that your problems are just beginning if you mount a scope.  You need to somehow fix the underlying problem that's causing things to go low.

Just some thoughts: 

1)  Have you shot this shotgun off a bag?  If low-brass shells shoot dead on and only the full-house ones are low, then it could be that you're dropping the forearm in anticipation of the blast.  A shot off a bench with a bag will determine if that is the case.  In my case, I tried several different loads and they all shot the same. 

2)  Try a different load.  Don't be tied to anything right now.  I wouldn't pass judgment on the gun and I sure wouldn't start mounting scopes until I'd tried at least 3 more loads.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

captpete

My 870 SM doesn't like 3.5" shells. It doesn't matter what brand shell(all lead shells) or the choke I'm using. The POI & POA where never the same. I put a set of adjustable sights on and was able to get it to shoot POI & POA the same. Then I had to re-adjust when I switched shell brands/chokes. I tried 3" shells. I had to re-adjust the sights for them, but I could switch brands/chokes with very little/no adjustments. I got better, more even patterns with the 3" shells. It was still off alittle with just the bead, but nothing like with the 3.5" shells.

roberthyman14

I've got a gun that just does not shoot 3 1/2" shells good at all.  Pattern is always high right with the current choke.  Went back to 3" shells and it shoots great.   Now I'm changing to tss. So we will see what that brings.  I do my patterning with no scope. 

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk