OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobbler Special's First Test

Started by hoyt, April 29, 2011, 02:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoyt

Killed this gobbler 7:00am this morning. Shawnee National Forest. I built this gun especially to hunt spring gobblers and today is the first time I've got a shot with it. Worked good. Called him in using a Woodhaven Copperhead mouth call. I had to go a long ways through some real thick stuff to get to him. Bout killed me getting back out and to the house with it. Very steep up and down country and I'm not even close to being in shape. Only the second hunt I've been able to make this yr. due to health and weather.

Had a hard time getting him to come down off one ridge and up on the one I was on..but finally talked him into it. I was just getting ready to move on him and try to get on the same ridge when I saw his white head coming to me at about 35yds. 20ga. Gobbler Special (6lbs). 20lbs., 10" beard, not much for spurs...bout 1"
I was looking at him with my foot on his neck thinking he would make a pretty pic. when he went into the death flop and pulled out from under my foot into a wet drainage and flopped down the ridge getting soaked.
90GRS 3F
2LUBED OXYOKE WADS
140GRS (2OZ) # 6'S
2 THIN OVERSHOT CARDS

a-j calls

Very nice,,well done, now that's hunting the old way...

Gobble!

Basser69

Now thats sweet! Congrats on killing him old school style

longbeardlife.com

tnturkeyman28

Big Boys Custom Calls
" I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
Owner of Big Boys Custom Call making Custom Turkey Calls to Order. Mossy Oak Pro Staff The Good lord has Blessed me far more than I deserve. Philippians 4:13

bowhunter84

hobbes

Congrats!  It sounds like it was a great hunt.  What part of Shawnee did you kill him in?   The weather we experienced in IL last week would have made hunting with a flintlock a real challenge. 

I really like that gun.   I may have asked this once before, so I appologize if you responded and I didn't see it.  What is a ballpark figure for building a gun like that?

Hognutz

Yowsa!! Well done, Hoyt. That's gettin' 'er done the old fashioned way..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

WyoHunter

Nice bird and a beautiful muzzleloader! Congrats on both!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

harvester

:happy0064: good bird and a very nice gun. congrats on the kill.

jayjay

trkycaller

strutnva

cannonball