turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The Quest for 100

Started by TRKYHTR, April 29, 2011, 01:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

As some of you might know I began this spring season with 94 gobblers killed in my 28 years of turkey hunting. I thought about trying to go for 100 this spring after realizing how close I was to 100 after last spring. I knew it was going to be difficult to take 6 turkeys in 1 season but I have had similar success for the past 8 years. When I began turkey hunting CA, my home state, had a 2 gobbler limit in the spring and it wasn't until 8-10 years ago that the limit changed to 3 gobblers in the spring. It's a little difficult to hunt another state close to home because there are no real close states. NV is the closest to me and they probably have the worst POP of turkeys in the country. You would have better odds winning the loto than drawing a spring AZ turkey tag and it's a 12 hour drive for me anyway. Oregon has a good POP and I have hunted there and killed a turkey. So my options for extra turkeys during the spring would have to come from out of state hunts. I have had the pleasure of meeting some great folks over the years thanks in part to OG and the NWTF websites. This year was no exception. My season this year was going to start in MS. The south is never an easy hunt, if there is such a thing in turkey hunting. After a few days of hunting me and CATDADDY double teamed 3 longbeards to come running in to our set up after they had been scattered. Turkey #1 down.
   My CA season started off with alot of rain not unlike most states this year. My son killed a turkey on Sunday of opening weekend and so I was the shooter the next weekend. I was able to hunt a local bird, one I walked to from my home, on Friday before the weekend hunt. I had been watching this turkey for 3 years. I know he was at least 5 and probably 6 years old, which is old enough. Turkey #2 down. Joey and I set out for the weekend hunt with me getting first shot and then we were going to switch and I would take the camera and he would be the shooter. I was able to call several different Jakes to our set up throughout the day and finally got a gobbler to come and fight at 2:50 pm. Our daily time limit is 4:00 pm so there wasn't much time for Joey to hunt. It was my biggest spurred gobbler ever 1 5/8". Turkey #3 down. Joey was the hunter the next Saturday and we were able to call a turkey for him. I was up again and Joey was scheduled to hunt with his cousin and a friend last weekend. I had hunted a specific turkey 2 times and this was going to be my 3 hunt at him. When I got out of the truck he was roosted in a different spot than normal. The good thing is I would have a great set up from where he was and where he wanted to go. I didn't know it at the time but it was a different turkey than I had hunted the 2 previous hunts. It didn't matter to me after he flew a fence and strutted into my set up swinging a good beard. Turkey #4 down.
  That brings us up to date. I have tagged out in CA and have 2 more tags left in my pocket. 1 BH SD tag and a WY tag. Joey and I are leaving for SD on Saturday morning at 3:00 am. He will be first shooter and then I will have the rest to fill my tags and try to reach my goal of 100 dead turkeys. The good Lord has shinned on me this year and many years in the past. Whether I get the 100 or not isn't as important as the friends, family, hunts, and fun that was had trying. Thanks to all those friends that text me when they kill a turkey and those that I text when I am successful. Wish me luck. God Bless,

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

hobbes

Good Luck on getting to #100

dodger

goodluck Joe, hope you hit the mark this season... but remember... there is always next season too

JVA54

guesswho

Not that you will need it, but good luck.  After #100 just take a moment to reflect back on and enjoy numbers 1-100 and don't forget to thank the one who made it all possible.  Then go bust #101!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Solid Snake

Good luck on the century mark! I'm just hoping to get #2 in my 2nd season so I'm at the other end of the spectrum.

pullit

Congrats on an already great season and good luck on the rest of your hunts.

stinkpickle

Good luck, Joe.  I'm sure you'll make the 100 mark soon.   :anim_25: :anim_25: :anim_25:

bowhunter84

:anim_25: on reaching your goal!

BOFF

Look forward to seeing the pictures of the 99 and 100th when you get them Joe.

Be safe, have fun, shoot straight, and make the most of every moment!!

God Bless,
David B.

LX_Trkyhntr

Joe I hope you and Joey have a GREAT trip!!  I am confident that you will get those last two down!  :you_rock: I can't wait to see the pics!

On a side note, Joey is one lucky young man to grow up with such a great turkey hunting mentor!!  He is light years ahead of where I was at his age!!  Good job raising that young man!

Stephan
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

TRKYHTR

Quote from: LX_Trkyhntr on April 29, 2011, 09:41:05 AM
Joe I hope you and Joey have a GREAT trip!!  I am confident that you will get those last two down!  :you_rock: I can't wait to see the pics!

On a side note, Joey is one lucky young man to grow up with such a great turkey hunting mentor!!  He is light years ahead of where I was at his age!!  Good job raising that young man!

Stephan

Thanks for the compliments Stephen. He has had more than just me as well. At age 22 he already has killed 37 gobblers. I hadn't even started turkey hunting at age 22. I can think of several young men and women who are blessed to have good turkey hunting mentors from this website, you being one. Thanks everybody.
TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

flintlock

I have no doubts!     :you_rock:
Wess
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

Basser69

Congrats on the first 98 and good luck on the next 2  :z-guntootsmiley:

vicksburg

]