Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Only 7 years later (Video Added on Page 2)

Started by habitatmd, April 29, 2011, 12:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

habitatmd

My brothers and I have seen quite a few turkeys die in our years of turkey hunting. I'd say we are definitely above average turkey hunters. Yet in 7 years of owning our farm, my brothers and I had not killed a bird off of it. A buddy killed one quite a few years ago (2005), but that was the only bird taken thus far. There were some other passed opportunities because we were trying to get Gary (my oldest brother) a turkey, but still no dead bird.

On with the story....my middle brother (aka hippie) had been seeing some birds using our fields on a consistant basis. Its the back part of the field that is bean stubble and was not disced under since it is being put into CRP. He was seeing 1 gobbler and 3 jakes. Last night he had seen these birds go into the timber about 7:30 pm. A buddy and I made the trip to the farm after I got off work last night. After a couple hours a sleep, we were back up and at em.

This morning was a great morning and the weather held out for us. Lots of gobbling, but only 1 close enough to get us excited. We saw a few hens and eventually 1 jake showed up right behind us. Hippie said...I'm not going to shoot him. About 5 seconds passed and the jake was coming straight into the strutter decoy 10 yards away. Hippie says...I'm going to shoot him.  My how quickly attitudes change.  :TooFunny: The jake starts thinking he's going to get tough with the decoy when he gets laid out by Hippie. Nothing wrong with lifting the curse with a jake.

We ran out and grabbed the bird and threw it in the blind. Not 20 minutes later, we had a group coming in of multiple birds. A little calling and a little gobbling and they come up the hill. Two were jakes that enter the field, then followed by the tom. They see the decoy and start running towards it. They don't come straight in as they appeared they would. They get maybe 40 yards out and don't look like they are going to do much more. I picked out the gobbler from the crew and sent some hevi-metal his way. Stepped it off at 43 yards and it hammered him.

My buddy who was filming decides to stay out hunting and Matt and I headed back to cook breakfast. Low and behold we ran into some mushrooms growing out in the field where we burned. Most were a little dry and brittle, but they will eat.

Someone was smiling down on us today and I'd like to believe it was our old man who is no longer with us. Hippie was wearing one of his old hunting shirts.  What a couple of memorable birds these will be/are.

Hopefully Gary will get his turn this weekend.

[attachment deleted by admin]

njdevilsb

Great story and congrats on a couple of fine birds. 

Basser69

That was a great read. Thanks for sharing! Congrats on a cople of great birds!!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

pullit

Great story and congrats to both you and Hippie

JVA54

Hognutz

Congrats on the birds. Nice picture of you two..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

doepee

bowhunter84

great story. congrats on the birds!

Mag10

I'd say the curse has been lifted,  congrats!!

wangchung0121

Awesome story.   Thanks for sharing the pics.

Wrangler95

:z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-bdayparty:

Very nice going,congrats!!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

flintlock

congrats curing the 7year itch!
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

WyoHunter

Congrats on a nice read and some fine birds!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

BOFF

Congrats on the birds!!

Yep, it's amazing how the longer they stay, the prettier they get.

No wait..................................

I mean, it's amazing how they get prettier..............................................

No, no!!!  Never mind.

Nice birds!!!!!!  :angel9:

Glad y'all made it happen.

God Bless,
David B.