OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Season Plans (and last year’s turkey vids)

Started by POk3s, March 01, 2019, 06:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POk3s

I couldn't have spring fever any more than i have it right now!! We've had a long, cold winter in Wyoming with the last few days having been the only break from what's seemingly been lows in the negatives and highs around 20. With that, were two stretches of -20 mornings that lasted for a week or so! Just brutal and I'm ready for turkeys! Been watching turkey videos during this warm spell which definitely isn't helping my itch!

Last year I was fortunate enough to kill 5 birds in 4 different states on public land. All merriams. This year I applied for and drew a zone 5, fourth season tag in Iowa. It has lots of public land, and it's the closest place to my house to kill a true eastern! I couldn't be more excited about a new adventure and getting the chance to notch another sub-species box!

Does anyone else have any plans that are different from years past??

I did video some hunts from last year, and have been rewatching them this year so I know what to do different. Definitely learned a lot just in a year's time as far as videoing goes. Anyway, if you guys want to watch some western public land hunts I've included the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0b3PsaQxvc&list=PLEgmLUdkk6HPEQtakNltytSy0kStLxQFL&index=2&t=1s

zsully

Enjoyed the video. I'm from Pa and I don't have any out of state plans for turkeys this year. I've never killed a gobbler at my camp in the Allegheny National Forest though so that'll be my focus this year.

tjh24

Yup! I'll be hitting Maryland , then Pennsylvania and then I'll head up to New York for their opening day.   All I've ever hunted is easterns.  I'm jealous... I'd love to kill some merriams... someday I'll head out there.  Good videos too!

On another note... did you kill a giant bull elk a few years ago?

POk3s

Thanks guys! I wish you a prosperous and fun season!

Yes tjh I did...

RussM311

Skipping my home state of Louisiana this year.... going to Mississippi to start the season..... have to work a week in Kentucky, so going to hang around and hunt a few days there before heading over to Missouri to finish my season.

Best wishes to everyone.... and be safe in your travels and hunts.

JMalin

Texas, New Mexico, and maybe Kansas.  I look most forward to chasing those hard hunted public lands Merriams in the Lincoln.  I'm chomping at the bit to get at them.  If time permits, I may try a public land Arkansas hunt for an Eastern.  Never gotten one before.

appalachianassassin

Tn NC va and hopefully ky depending on success

MO HUNTER

We will be traveling to Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska this year! Got some youth to take and some grown up action too. Should be fun...but reading all the reports seems like several places are reporting low turkey numbers. Arkansas seems to be one of the lowest... either way, we will still chase after em!

Sixes

Nice videos, it's always odd for a southern boy to see you guys hunting in the snow.

Delmar ODonnell

Great videos! I'll be hunting in Mississippi and hopefully Tennessee in March/April. Plan to head North to Kansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota in May.

POk3s

This certainly is an exciting time of year!!! For the experience and sheer amount of fun, I don't think turkey hunting can be beat for the money. This Iowa tag stung but this is the worst one. Usually $100 or so for a nonresident tag, the price of fuel, and I usually stay in my tent in a campground. I don't think it can be beat! Not to mention you don't have to pack or drag them out. Just throw em ober tour shoulder and try to find another!

Thanks for The kind words guys!

greentrout

Getting back into turkeys after over 10 years away. Hunting NW Tennessee and ready to go!
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

POk3s

Started a plan B today on what I want to do after Iowa. I have 9 days of hunting planned out, but if I'm fortunate enough to get one quick, do I want to stay in "eastern country" or hunting my way through Nebraska. Decisions decisions!

SD_smith

POk3s

Well...I'll just have to see how the season plays out! Hahaha! Could hit it on the way back from Iowa too! Or maybe mid May paired with Wyoming???