OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobbler # 4

Started by fl panhandler, April 28, 2011, 10:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fl panhandler

This last weekend I killed a gobbler that turned out to be a jake.  He gobbled on the roost several times and took his sweet time coming in.  When he did decide to commit he came in in full strut.  I clucked at him to get him to break strut and he gobbled.  When he did I layed him out.  I got up and walked to him and checked out his spurs.  He had 3/8" bumps.  I was bummed.    His wing tips were worn off from strutting.  This is the first time I have killed a jake.  He acted like a full grown bird.  He only had a 5 1/2" curly beard, like a corkscrew.  I didn't get a real good look at him through the foliage, but when he stepped out in full strut and gobbled I guess i figured he was ready to die.  My question is;  Why was he allowed to act like a dominate bird, gobbling and strutting and the like?  Do y'all think he was able to breed at that age?  He didn't have a full fan but I could't tell untill I examined it very closely.    That osage aluminum Kaiser call  I guess was too irresistable. :) 
Rick

Basser69

Gobble and strut like the man die like the man!

Ky strutt n bust n

Quote from: Basser69 on April 28, 2011, 10:49:34 PM
Gobble and strut like the man die like the man!
:agreed: i second that. pretty bird tho! even the smart get out smarted. no shame tho! congrats!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

socalturkeyman

Hey he put on a show and Its a great bird! congrats!!! :you_rock: :z-guntootsmiley:
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

njdevilsb

Congrats on the bird. 

moonman

Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.

trkycaller

JVA54

Hognutz

Great bird. He will eat well..I guarantee that..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

bowhunter84

Wrangler95

:z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-bdayparty:

Very nice going,congrats!!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Gobble!

cannonball

pcgobbler

I had one fool me this week like that.  Gobbled and came in fast, but had a 4-5" beard.  I was fortunate I could see him clearly coming in to verify he wasn't a longbeard.