OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Virginia Tech Gobblers

Started by 1tiogabowhunter, February 25, 2019, 02:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1tiogabowhunter

My daughter is a freshman at Va Tech and I found out where are going to be visiting opening weekend of spring gobbler.   Was hoping someone might have some information for a spot to get started.  I am not looking for your favorite spot just some general direction. 

Appreciate the info in advance :) 

NCSWAMPFOX

real good public ground close by.

mbowyer51

Havens WMA is in Roanoke county. It's around 9000 acres and the Jefferson national forest is right there too. Look into the National Geographic maps they show all roads as well as the bars and even tell you if they're open seasonally or permanently closed.

BennieGobbler

Go West on 460.  Good public land out that way between Blacksburg and west Va.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Print by Madison, on Flickr

SwampChickenSC

Haven't hunted up that way in a long time but it's certainly some pretty country with a good many birds
"some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

ShootingABN!

Beautiful country, white oaks as big as car hoods. The National Forest close by. Make sure you read the rules for entrance to the areas. I understand there is a permit, also can't just pull off of a scenic drive and drop off of the mountain.

appalachianstruttstopper

Jefferson national forest. $4 national forest permit required with small game and big game license. One particular portion of N.F. near pulaski VA holds quit a few birds. The portion north of town.

Cut N Run

There's some rattlesnakes around Pulaski, so don't forget your snake boots. Definitely beautiful, scenic country.  Quite a few birds out that way too.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

vthokie7227

I sent you a pm with some links to helpful resources. Also, do yourself a favor and grab breakfast or dinner at the London Underground Pub on Main St. Their bacon onion marmalade burger is killer! And...GO HOKIES!

jblackburn

At one point, Sunday hunting wasn't allowed. May need to check into that, too. may have been changed by now
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

tha bugman

Quote from: 1tiogabowhunter on February 25, 2019, 02:00:02 PM
My daughter is a freshman at Va Tech and I found out where are going to be visiting opening weekend of spring gobbler.   Was hoping someone might have some information for a spot to get started.  I am not looking for your favorite spot just some general direction. 

Appreciate the info in advance :)
Hoping to get up that way the weekend of Easter, but not sure at that time.  I have a friend doing his PhD up there.

ShootingABN!

Quote from: jblackburn on February 26, 2019, 01:35:20 PM
At one point, Sunday hunting wasn't allowed. May need to check into that, too. may have been changed by now
Still that way on Public NO Sunday hunting. Private land yes with written permission stating you can hunt on Sunday.