OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What is your Favorite thing about turkey hunting?

Started by yukonhunter, April 28, 2011, 04:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your Favorite thing about turkey hunting?

Killing a Gobler
5 (6.1%)
hearing them gobble
8 (9.8%)
calling them in
10 (12.2%)
just being in the turkey woods
10 (12.2%)
all of the above
49 (59.8%)

Total Members Voted: 78

BrowningGuy88

While the actual hunts stick with me, they all kinda run together except for a few distinct ones. So that being said my two favorite parts are:

Standing there in the pre-dawn darkness as the orange tint just starts to show listening to the whipporwills and owls --- then BAM he hammers down and the hunt is on! (I voted for just being in the turkey woods). I like to call this the spiritual aspect of hunting, that quiet time before daylight and the hard scrabble hunt to just reflect on times past and talk with God.

My second favorite part is when a hunting partner and I have had a successful hunt and we are walking that long wlk back to camp or the truck holding a gobbler or two over our shoulders and already retelling our own versions of the hunt as if the other one wasn't actually there and actually witnessed it. That makes all the lost sleep, tired feet/legs, and back logged work emails worth it!!!!

Now don't get me wrong, I am out there every time to lay the hammer down on one. I just enjoy the above two parts more than actually pulling the trigger.

Daman

flintlock

WOrking a gobbling turkey:  the kind that just can't help but double-gobble at everything you throw at them.
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

kmac

There's nothing like the feeling when you know He's Coming!

spitndrum

FullChoke

My favorite part of turkey hunting is calling the bird. To be more precise, I love being able to talk to this wild animal in his own language and say something specifically, have him understand what I have said and speak back to me and then being able to understand what he has just said and begin a complete two-way conversation that hopefully ends with him in range and me shooting him.

On a related note, there are times that I should be absolutely embarrassed over what specific acts of wanton debauchery that I have had to promise to engage in with this gobbler once he came over to see me. Kind of unfair being a Gobbler Tease, but I get over it!

Cheers.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

harvester

What is their NOT to like about turkey hunting. Other than the silent mornings.

HOOKS1

I voted for all of the above. Killing an old boss gobbler is why I'm there, but calling up jakes and hens is still a rush to me after 42 years of chasing turkeys. I love the sunrises and and sunsets and watching the other critters and see and learn new things on every hunt. If I ever loose interest in any of the aspects of a hunt, it will be time for me to put my gun up and quit.

tiggere

I like it all...my wifes favorite part is the day the season ends

daddylongspurs

It's hard and not every peckerhead is doing it, nor can they do it! It's true, pure, and can humble the best turkey hunter on the planet any given day.