Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is your Favorite thing about turkey hunting?

Started by yukonhunter, April 28, 2011, 04:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your Favorite thing about turkey hunting?

Killing a Gobler
5 (6.1%)
hearing them gobble
8 (9.8%)
calling them in
10 (12.2%)
just being in the turkey woods
10 (12.2%)
all of the above
49 (59.8%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Ol'Mossy

I put just being in the woods but I definately agree with all of the above

PureGold

unclerick

I out all of the above, but that little time at pre-dawn is my favorite reason to be in the turkey woods, you can almost hear things start to yawn as the world wakes up.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

hookedspur

I love it all but if you pin me down I will tell you I love to call them in best .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

njdevilsb

Besides pulling the trigger on one, I like nothing better than to hear that gobble before first light. 

Bustabeak

I love it all! From hearing that first gobble of the morning to a boot on the head on a big old gobbler! There is a certain part that is indescribable to someone that has never been a part of the turkey woods! My  last kill this year I was set up in the end of a narrow food plot, he gobbled probably 250 yards away or more and then surprised me when he gobbled on the edge of the field no more than 75 yards away.  I love the excitement of not knowing where that next gobble is going to come from. It could be 400 yards away or he could have slipped right into gun range without you even knowing it! And the feeling of success when you finally tote one of those unpredictable birds out of the woods over your shoulder!  It's just good stuff!

HogBiologist

I voted all, but would any of us actually go hunting (any hunting) if the kill was not expected at the end of it?
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Spring_Woods

Great thread!

To me, theres a feeling you get JUST before the shot. A feeling of mounting excitement, accomplishment, trickery, and the pure joy that you just fooled a Tom into thinking you are the real thing.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

doepee

I like it all, but being in the woods and watching it get light listening to the sounds, and then calling in a gobbler close and listening to him thunder... Killing him is fun but dang then its over...

cannonball

lohaus

All of the above.  I would also add being out with a buddy and/or helping a person get his or her first bird.

Ky strutt n bust n

being outside period. there isn't one thing i don't love about being in the spring time turkey woods. but favorite i would say is spending it with my dad and close friends and brother. nothing more special than hearing a whipoorwill at first rise of the sun and then followed by a gobble and look at your hunting partner and say those two irresistable words. "lets go!!!"

bowhunter84

just being out there. you can see things out there that you cant see anywhere else

drenalinld

When you can hear him drumming but can't see him yet!!!

bowhunter84

Quote from:  link=topic=8790.msg103503#msg103503 date=1304086915
Though I'm out there to bring one home with me, I don't just want to just kill one for the sake of killing one.  Because some methods of killing one aren't as appealing as others.  I'm not above stooping to lessor forms of turkey hunting to kill him, if I get in the right frame of mind, but that's not what I like best about it.  And I also don't want to just call one in, only to miss him.  Neither do I want to set up on one, and not be able to call him in and kill him.

What I like most about it, is the traditional essence of turkey hunting -- to set up on a gobbler, call him in, and kill him.

I get a real rush with that, and that's what I like the most about this great sport.
well said :icon_thumright: