turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Walkers GameEar

Started by zelmo1, February 24, 2019, 02:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

Any opinions on this product? I am thinking of trying it. Thanks.

Turkeyman

I bought one years ago and didn't care for it. Yes, it amplifies turkey sounds but also amplifies every other sound you don't want to hear. Wind, leaves rustling, your "crunching" while walking, etc. I found that very annoying. Plus you still have to sort out the turkey sounds from everything else which is getting amplified. Since then I've had my hearing checked via audiologist and got hearing aids. Mine have an overall amplification of all frequencies but, particularly, the high frequency loss which many have as you age.

Addendum: Plus when I'd hear a turkey I had to take them off and listen again "normally" to get a distance and direction fix. Fortunately my insurance almost totally paid for them, otherwise I probably wouldn't have gotten them !!

zelmo1

shoer2

I got one years ago too it helped a lot just can't tell direction sometimes

rifleman

Have a look at the Howard Leight Sport.  I use them in spring turkey and I like them,  About $60 on Amazon.

EKavanagh

I have the Howard Leight sport model and they are great for hearing distant birds and protecting your hearing.

As someone else alluded to, you get a false sense of direction as to where the bird is. I wore them last year while tagging along on a buddy's hunt and the bird completely surprised me when it popped into view. I was looking almost 90 degrees to the left.

EK

appalachianassassin

rifleman

Assassin,  I'll take it, send it to me.

joey46

Have Walker muffs and Howard L.  Both good.  Direction can be a problem but I know that if I hear something that sounds dead ahead to look a little right and there he is.  Wouldn't hunt without them.