OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Arkansas gobbler!!

Started by LX_Trkyhntr, April 28, 2011, 01:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LX_Trkyhntr

I got a surprising phone call Monday.  A buddy of mine called and said that he saw a turkey in a field on one of the places that I hunt this past weekend.  I had scouted this place two or three weeks before season and couldn't find any sign.  It looked like we might have a break in the rain Tuesday afternoon so I picked him up and we went hunting for a little bit.  I dropped him off at the property he has permission to hunt and I continued on to the place that I have permission on.

I scouted/hunted for an hour or so when the thunder started gettig closer and closer.  I was hoping to hear one gobble, but it wasn't to be.  I did, however, find lots of fresh scratching!  Then about 5PM the rain set back in and I headed back to the truck.

The weather showed it raining from Tuesday evening until Wednesday afternoon, and clearing off after that.

I told Jake I was going to be in the woods this morning, it was going to be the first sunny sunrise in 8 or 9 days!

I was slipping in to my listening spot when he announced his location at 06:00 this morning!!  He was roosted about 300 yds away so I cut the distance to about 150 found a tree and set up.

He was really gobbling good, I sat back and enjoyed the show untl I thoght it was getting close to flydown.  I gave a few tree yelps on my persuader mouth call and he hammered back!.  I pulled out my wing and did a fly down cackle, and he went nuts!!

He finally flew down and I went to work on him with some plain yelps and cluck and purrs.  Every once in a while I would throw in a few light cutts.  He was gobbling his head off, double and triple gobbling!  I got quiet and I could tell he was on the way!  I finally saw him about 70 yds out heading directly in.  He stopped to strutt and gobble a few times!  He got to about 30 yards but was behind some small trees, he turned to go down hill , I found a hole he was about to walk into and once he stepped into it I took the shot!  He went right down!

This is the first bird I have killed in Arkansas in a LONG time! 

He is a nice bird, he weighed 19#2oz, had two beards one 10" and the other 3 1/4", and had 7/8" spurs

Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

Flydown

You da man Stephan!!!! Congrats on the razorback turkey! :you_rock:

hobbes

That is one good looking bird.  Congrats!

trkycaller

bowhunter84

way to go!  congrats on a fine bird :icon_thumright:

Hognutz

Congrats on the nice gobbler. The double beard is a bonus..Way to go..Mike   :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Basser69

Congrats on a great bird!  :you_rock:

RIO GRANDE MAN

Congrats on the double beard!

JVA54

boomer

barry

Congrats!
Glad you guys are gettin' some sunshine finally.

TRKYHTR

Great looking turkey Stephen. Congrats on a great hunt.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Ol'Mossy

Devastator