OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Boot Suggestion

Started by SD_smith, February 18, 2019, 06:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_smith

I'm thinking about getting into more of a hiking boot this year. I used gaiters last season with an 8 inch boot I like, but it was a very heavy boot and felt like a brick after a few miles in the hills. Hopefully some of you have been using a hiking boot. I'm not finding much in the way of insulation which I was kinda hoping for, but not a deal breaker. I use gaiters mainly because we had snow on the ground out here all the way into May especially on the dark side of hills and it gets deep. Opening day last season we got a foot the night prior and it was a whole 1 degree, not including wind chill. Hit 2 patches of waist deep stuff on my way in the dark. If in snow I'd probably use my 8 inch boot again. Throw out any brand suggestions or specific boots for me.

SD_smith

Let me clarify the hiking boots will be for when the snow melts, but it will still be cold.

Turkz39

Try crispi boots they are great

slicksbeagles1

I don't know where you live but, if you live close to an REI store go in and let them help you. If you buy a pair and they don't work out as you break them in they will take them back within a year it's like getting a 1 year warranty. To me it's worth paying a little more in case you have problems you have not thrown away your money.

Spurs

Check out Keen if you want light weight.  I bought a cheap set last year and was pleasantly surprised.  I wore them for the Arkansas youth hunt (we had sleet) in Ohio (cold opener).  With a regular pair of wool socks, they were extremely warm and it was the first time my feet never began to sweat.  As season progressed, I switched to regular black socks and they worked perfectly.  GorTex held 100% all the way through season (hunting 4-5 days a week).  To top it off, I deer hunted a good bit with them too.

This year I stepped up to some Russell Moccasins (custom boots).  Plan on doing a full review when I get them.
This year is going to suck!!!

SD_smith

Quote from: Turkz39 on February 18, 2019, 07:15:02 PM

I know a lot of guys use Crispi for elk and other big game. I'd imagine they aren't real heavy if they use them?

SD_smith

Quote from: Spurs on February 18, 2019, 07:27:32 PM
Check out Keen if you want light weight.  I bought a cheap set last year and was pleasantly surprised.  I wore them for the Arkansas youth hunt (we had sleet) in Ohio (cold opener).  With a regular pair of wool socks, they were extremely warm and it was the first time my feet never began to sweat.  As season progressed, I switched to regular black socks and they worked perfectly.  GorTex held 100% all the way through season (hunting 4-5 days a week).  To top it off, I deer hunted a good bit with them too.

This year I stepped up to some Russell Moccasins (custom boots).  Plan on doing a full review when I get them.

What Keen model did you use?

wvmntnhick

If u don't mind a lower top boot, kenetrek hard scrabble worked well for me in Colorado. I liked them plenty. No insulation to speak of really. Wool socks and I was gtg all day. They make higher cut boots but couldn't pass the deal. Crispi's are nice as well. Solomon, might've spelled it wrong, is a good brand for the money. Can find them on sale pretty often. I'll be getting a pair of their shoes for my next Colorado hunt. It'll be earlier in the season and lighter going for the long haul.

Might add that kenetrek boots have a very solid shank. If that bothers you, get something else. Very little flex in the sole. But, for covering steep terrain, it's the berries imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmf

I can't help you on the boot model, as you are in a much different climate than me.  I will tell you what I did recently, and if you have amazon prime you can consider it as well.  Amazon started something called amazon wardrobe, where you can order a bunch of clothing items, try them on and see what fits and what you like, and send back anything you don't want and only get charged for the item(s) you keep. 

I recently did this with a bunch of hiking or hunting boots from Danner, Bates, 5.11, Merrell, Keen (couple different models), and Salomon (couple different models).  I tried them all on, walked around my living room to test fit (obviously you can't walk around outside),  and ended up with the Salomon LTR GTX's for a couple reasons, but as far as build quality and comfort the Keens were neck and neck.  I actually liked the Keens very SLIGHTLY more, but the fit for my foot was off.  I can tell you that the Danner Vitals were absolute garbage for the money.  Garbage.  In a pinch I bought some $25 Walmart specials a few years ago that were built better.   The rest of the boots that I tried were all well made boots that I would enjoy owning, but the Salomon and Keen stood out as the most well made.

Disclaimer - I wouldn't condone buying a bunch of boots from somewhere and then doing returns on what you don't want, but the prime wardrobe is made to do just that for members and I would recommend taking advantage of any membership perk you have.

mathews8pt

Quote from: SD_smith on February 18, 2019, 07:37:27 PM
Quote from: Turkz39 on February 18, 2019, 07:15:02 PM

I know a lot of guys use Crispi for elk and other big game. I'd imagine they aren't real heavy if they use them?

I have a couple pairs and run their Idaho's when I elk hunt.  They are uninsulated but I can wear them to a very low temp if I'm active and they are fine for my particular feet.  I just got back from a public land archery hog hunt in GA where we were constantly walking through 2-5" of water and my feet were dry as can be. 

I will say that they are probably stiffer soled then you may need, but if you can get use to it then they might work for you.  They have been very good boots for me the couple years I've had them. 

Turkz39

SD I use the summit gtx they are 8 " tall and 3 lbs both boots,  they are a bit stiff at first but after a day or so you will get use to the extra support.

Heavy Load

I've used asolo hiking boots and now on a pair of Vasque hiking boots. Sierr@  trading Post is the best place I've found and I always get a half size bigger.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.

wchadw

Quote from: Spurs on February 18, 2019, 07:27:32 PM

Let me know what you think of the Russell mocs. I am looking at them for next year

Swampchickin234

I personally used the keen targhee 2 mids last season and enjoyed them but waterproofing dud not hold up.  Keen took care of me and I'm now in the targhee 3 mids.  So far I love them.