News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester supreme

Started by Bowguy, February 15, 2019, 09:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

Quote from: coyote1 on February 16, 2019, 02:51:27 AM
I agree. Glad I have a good stock pile of federal turkey thugs. The Winchester xx black shells shoot really good too, supposed to be the replacement for the supremes. Can still buy these as far as I know.

The long beards are a good load. Imo they are too tight 30 yards and in. If you are looking for shells to use mostly 30 and under I would go with Winchester xx or federal strut shok, way more forgiving .
Yep, my 870 loves the turkey thugs 3.5in #5s. got like 2.5-3 boxes left. Not sure what i will use after that. Wish they still made these.

Happy

I will disagree on the longbeards. Maybe I am just lucky but I have a volleyball sized pattern at 20 and if memory serves me right around 190 in the ten at 40. At 50 the pattern is reaching the point I wouldn't trust it. But then I ain't gonna shoot that far. That to me is perfect and I have plenty of shells on hand that I got on sale.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Dr Juice

Not to drop a turd in anyone's punch bowl, but in my opinion, i do not do pellet counts at the various distances. I look for even distribution of shot and i have had good results with HS.

dirt road ninja

If I go back to lead it would be with the Winchester XX 5's or 6's. In the 2.25 oz load. They patterned good enough at 40 and have lots of wiggle room up close.

Bowguy

Quote from: Dr Juice on February 16, 2019, 06:33:09 AM
Not to drop a turd in anyone's punch bowl, but in my opinion, i do not do pellet counts at the various distances. I look for even distribution of shot and i have had good results with HS.
Hevi does pattern acceptable but it twice the price. That's what I'm saying. I think I located a few boxes of supremes

Bowguy

Here's the other question what if TSS ever gets short supply? All the loads using it and all the guys reloading might be out of luck. In Obama wonderful leadership look how hard finding any old ammo was. Imagine everyone trying for same stuff?
Luckily I shot through it all cause I had plenty from reloading and could make enough more to get through. Common rifle heads though were even limited when I did need some of those.
I'm gonna research making loads myself. I just hate to set up loader for such limited issues

Boykin Hollow

The winchester supremes were a very good shell and the longbeards are also.  I got into loading tss just to have something new to do.  I still may have a box or two of the supremes left.

LaLongbeard

It's just that time of year Cabelas etc. will have the Surpremes back in stock eventually. They were almost giving them away in November with free shipping.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Spurs Up

Quote from: Bowguy on February 16, 2019, 07:43:03 AM
Here's the other question what if TSS ever gets short supply? All the loads using it and all the guys reloading might be out of luck. In Obama wonderful leadership look how hard finding any old ammo was. Imagine everyone trying for same stuff?
Luckily I shot through it all cause I had plenty from reloading and could make enough more to get through. Common rifle heads though were even limited when I did need some of those.
I'm gonna research making loads myself. I just hate to set up loader for such limited issues

Maybe not all of us.  If I run out of TSS from shooting at turkeys, you'll have bigger worries. Turkeys will be damn near extinct.

ShootingABN!

When I started it was 25 in a white box Winchester Super Double XX #4 or 6 3".... 35 yards was max, 5-9 in head and neck.

So tight chokes and modern loads have improved.

I've killed plenty with Winchester, Remington and even Federal old Heavy weight...

However I love the Custom Nitro 4x5x7. So if I miss judge the yardage he's still toast. 

Enjoy the hunt and be safe.

coyote1

Quote from: Bowguy on February 16, 2019, 03:10:31 AM
Quote from: coyote1 on February 16, 2019, 02:51:27 AM
I agree. Glad I have a good stock pile of federal turkey thugs. The Winchester xx black shells shoot really good too, supposed to be the replacement for the supremes. Can still buy these as far as I know.

The long beards are a good load. Imo they are too tight 30 yards and in. If you are looking for shells to use mostly 30 and under I would go with Winchester xx or federal strut shok, way more forgiving .
No that's the prob you can't buy any lead but longbeards from Win. Federal leads are gone too except for that new grand slam. I'm not sure what's up w them

I hope I can still find win xx somewhere. I like that better than the thugs.

2eagles

QUESTION??
Are Winchester Supreme black shells and Winchester Supreme red shells the same?

coyote1

I don't think any carry the supreme name any more, I could be wrong though. The red shells are super x and black are double x. Double x is supposed to be a step up from super x but it depends, your gun might like black or red.

LaLongbeard

Surpreme has been changed to double X same black shell patterns the same
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?