OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester supreme

Started by Bowguy, February 15, 2019, 09:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

You can look over the forum n see all the TSS threads, hevi shot, etc it's to me overpriced but that's besides the point. Winchester longbeards I guess are what's selling and these are ridiculous if you ask me. They aren't hunt loads. Least not forgiving hunt loads. The blue collar stuff is no more it seems. Last year I noticed federal mag shok, another just decent lead load went seemingly away. Too bad. I've got some and found more at one place. Ordered a bunch so I'm immune from what some wanna force down your throat.  Anyone else shoots em you better grab a few boxes if you can.
Times are changing. Turkey hunting is turning into a rich man's sport.
You know most my guns have never seen a factory load. For the few shots a year it didn't pay to set up a reloader. But now it sure does.

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Bowguy

Just got an email. They're out of stock. No one else seems to have em. Good thing I've got enough for this year

Tom Foolery

Supremes are great shells.

Ammo is the cheapest part of hunting.  If I couldn't afford a box of hevishot ($25) I sure couldn't afford a license($168 sportsman's license)

I don't turkey hunt to save money. 

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on February 15, 2019, 09:57:08 PM
Agreed and Agreed.

X 2 I personally still shoot the winchester super x #6 in my 935 and still getting them for less than $7 a box. My 930 prefers federal strut shok. If ppl would learn how to call birds within the 25yd range they wouldn't get caught up in the 70yd killing claims of the 400 pellets in a 10" circle

LaLongbeard

I got a good deal on several boxes of the Winchester Surpreme # 5s back in November. They work as well as the Nitro's I've used and although I've never shot TSS can't imagine they'd kill any deader
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Sir-diealot

Was planning to get a few boxes of the Winchester Long Beard XR Turkey Shotshells - #6 Shot - 3'' are those the ones you are saying are not worth it?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Bowguy

I'm not cursing longbeards per se, I just think they're way too tight. Thing is I had some damage to the optic nerve when I had surgery last year. My vision isnt as clear as it was. A little wiggle room would be cool. I liked it even before the issue. I have an optic on it to help but is the idea dead birds or a bunch of neat holes real close together when shot off a rest at a pattern board? We've lost our way boys imo.
Guess after the season I'll try rem premier. Haven't shot them since around 90 I think but I'm not paying big money a shell for this new stuff.

daddyduke

Totally agree. A good friend of mine has hunted turkeys for 30 plus years with a Remington 1100 fixed full barrel. He has used Remington nitro 2 3/4 6s or 4s. He has killed a lot of birds. I killed my first 3 birds with them till I found out they didn't pattern very well. But every bird I shot were instantly killed. Now I hunt with Federal Strut-Shok AKA Turkey Thugs. Glad I stocked up on them.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Sir-diealot

I just want a good #6 shot that will work out to 30 yards, that is all I think I want to shoot. I will be adding the scope to the gun soon and have to get some shooting time in with it to see how it patterns before the season starts.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Bowguy

Quote from: daddyduke on February 15, 2019, 11:06:28 PM
Totally agree. A good friend of mine has hunted turkeys for 30 plus years with a Remington 1100 fixed full barrel. He has used Remington nitro 2 3/4 6s or 4s. He has killed a lot of birds. I killed my first 3 birds with them till I found out they didn't pattern very well. But every bird I shot were instantly killed. Now I hunt with Federal Strut-Shok AKA Turkey Thugs. Glad I stocked up on them.
Years ago I had tried the Nitros as well. The premier patterned better. Idk what they do now. Like I said since around 90 all I've used except part of one year was the supremes

coyote1

I agree. Glad I have a good stock pile of federal turkey thugs. The Winchester xx black shells shoot really good too, supposed to be the replacement for the supremes. Can still buy these as far as I know.

The long beards are a good load. Imo they are too tight 30 yards and in. If you are looking for shells to use mostly 30 and under I would go with Winchester xx or federal strut shok, way more forgiving .

Bowguy

Quote from: coyote1 on February 16, 2019, 02:51:27 AM
I agree. Glad I have a good stock pile of federal turkey thugs. The Winchester xx black shells shoot really good too, supposed to be the replacement for the supremes. Can still buy these as far as I know.

The long beards are a good load. Imo they are too tight 30 yards and in. If you are looking for shells to use mostly 30 and under I would go with Winchester xx or federal strut shok, way more forgiving .
No that's the prob you can't buy any lead but longbeards from Win. Federal leads are gone too except for that new grand slam. I'm not sure what's up w them

Bowguy

My bad you can get the strut shok. I've never had luck w that though. I loved the mag shok. Prob is also they lowered payloads on grand slam and the strut shoks. Oh like I said I'm pretty good this year. I'll make changes next year.

joey46

Used the WW HV 1 3/4oz #5 lead for years then got caught up in the new load frenzy of Hevi etc.  Still have a few WW HV that go in the backpack just in case.  No real aversion to trying new loads but to do them justice I would need to shoot some at different ranges and then only after checking my guns point of aim.  Probably need a three box minimum and that gets $$$.  After opening weekend I often switch over to my Knight TK muzzleloader but I like to keep the 870 ready in case I do an out of state hunt.  No way I've seen to legally fly with the powder and other components needed for a muzzleloader.