News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Biggest change in your hunting style

Started by zelmo1, February 13, 2019, 09:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dtrkyman

Confidence!!!!

Which leads to patience, kills more birds than anything else!

But the confidence also aids in knowing when to change positions as well, it's all about good decisions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeA

I learned to move towards the bird after the first gobble, and call again softly. I used to sit tight.
I also carry a lot less crap in my vest.
NWTF, SCI, DU and Half Tone Game Calls

Sir-diealot

Because of my car accident I had to start using ground blinds. I move me legs and stand up or stretch forward a lot to help the back and hips and I can't do that ground hunting. Going to see how I do this year on the ground though, would like to return to it at least a little anyway.

Oh and after pretty much losing hunting for 17 years I now enjoy all that I see when I am out there more, learned to love the sounds and the smells much more as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Jeremy66

Leave the decoys at home. Always felt I had to sit tight when using them.

MO HUNTER

It's just been patience for me. I used to get up and move, running around like a fool. I've slowed down when I need to slow down, speed up when the right time presents itself. Some gear changes here and there...but mainly patience.

Tail Feathers

I still call too much, but sometimes it works!
I'm still addicted to the gobble.
I too, switched to a 20 gauge.
I use electronic hearing aids to hear a gobble over 200 yards.  They are worth the effort to carry them for sure.
I probably hid and set up better back in my younger days, I need to do better now.
I don't carry too much other stuff so I have room for a Gobbler Lounger.

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Wigsplitter

For me my gun choke setup are way ahead of what I started with ! Patience during a setup and proper setup have come with experience. A few custom calls. And learning that there is probably a better way to get to him than straight across a ozark holler!!!

Dark Cloud

I have to say Gobblenut said it best,my hunting birds has never changed,I started in the early eighties,and chased gobblers the same way I started,find a bird ,see what he likes,bring him in gobbling if I can,if not move on.I'm now on oxygen ,if I can't get off of it ,I guess my hunting will make a drastic change,I will be,enjoying reading about others experiences,and dreaming a little.

SteelerFan

Most notable change for me, is patience (like others have said). On those days where you get just a couple (if any) roost gobbles, I now set up where I know birds are around - somewhere - and I'll wait it out. Calling just every once in awhile, "casting for a bite". The Alps chair gets 95% credit, since I can sit comfortably for hours.

Back in the day, after striking out early - I would roam the mountain all morning, looking for a cooperative bird. Good exercise, but no more effective than sitting in the right spot for 3 or 4 hours.

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jblackburn

:angel9:
Quote from: Gooserbat on February 14, 2019, 05:27:03 PM
Tight barbed wire fences.

Holding the tight barbed wire down while old man Gooserbat crosses and rips his pants
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

TRG3

I quit the run and gun approach, choosing instead to set up decoys in a good spot, get comfortable (I've had some good naps in that ground lounger), and call. I incorporated a gobble call and increased my tag filling to nearly three per season up from one every three seasons when I just hen called. I also added a red dot scope since these old eyes had trouble trying to focus on the sights and turkey at the same time.

bigbird

I guess I'd say patience. I can can sit there a lot longer than I use to. I scout more now than I did in the past. And I'm carrying a 20 ga now   

jryser

Not using decoys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk