turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Northwest Oklahoma advice

Started by Upfold99, February 12, 2019, 08:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upfold99

Im planning on my first Rio hunt this year. Looks to be a 16 hr drive from my home state. Any advice on which week of the season is typically best would be appreciated. I know my current state always seems to be good the last two weeks. However OK does not have a very long season. Feel free to PM me if you prefer to respond in that method.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

762hunter

I went a few years back, Hunted hard, covered ground and found birds. Bunch of birds but all Jakes.

I came home empty handed

Be glad to help anyway I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Oklahoma has a 30 day season.  Be there opening day or a couple of days before to scout.  Or hunt the last two weeks of season.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

akp

I prefer about the third week or so.  Too early can be cold and windy and bunched up birds.  Too late and it can be really hot.  I've hunted western Oklahoma for the last 10 years or so and usually go around the 20th or so of April. 

Gamblinman

Quote from: akp on February 12, 2019, 08:51:52 PM
I prefer about the third week or so.  Too early can be cold and windy and bunched up birds.  Too late and it can be really hot.  I've hunted western Oklahoma for the last 10 years or so and usually go around the 20th or so of April.

I agree. By this time in April, hens are laying or setting. Toms are lonely.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

RussM311

Love hunting in that part of Oklahoma....  but the weather can be unpredictable....  and your boots need to be real comfortable for the distances you will get to hike.....  I agree with the third week....  weather should be more settled and the crowds a little thinner

Best wishes and have a safe trip

Upfold99

Thanks for the reply guys. Im pretty flexible on schedule but will defiantly be looking at the 3rd week.

I had a gut feeling the beginning would be crowded and birds may be slightly eaiser to coax later in the season.

WW

I hunted near Taloga last year and killed 3 in 3 days. Be ready for wind and sand spurs...

wvboy

I went the first week in May a few years ago and I think that was late for the area.. they seemed uninterested in calling would just give some courtesy gobbles.. I ended up killing two toms, but they both came in once they saw decoys.  From talking to the locals it seems like around the week of April 20th was the prime time.
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

makestomstremble

You didn't mention if you were hunting private land or public. By the middle of the month more hens will be on nest, but most public land by then has been pounded, most of the birds (than have not been shot) will be on private land just across the fence or road. If I were going on public, I'd go a couple of days before it opens and scout, scout, scout.

Upfold99

Quote from: makestomstremble on February 13, 2019, 05:06:57 PM
You didn't mention if you were hunting private land or public. By the middle of the month more hens will be on nest, but most public land by then has been pounded, most of the birds (than have not been shot) will be on private land just across the fence or road. If I were going on public, I'd go a couple of days before it opens and scout, scout, scout.
Thanks for the comments. It will be public.

akp

deerhunt1988

For public, I'd dang sure be there for the opener and plan on a day of scouting beforehand. Public land gets hit hard in a hurry out there! Plenty of birds at the start of the season but their numbers dwindle in a flash.

Panhandle_strutter

We went the last full week in April last year around the Woodward area. My brother in law and I both killed 1 each (his was banded)  but we had to work for them. Talking to locals that week is typically good but the gobblers we managed to get on were still henned up big time.
Also, where we hunted the birds would roost on public and high tail it to private once they hit the ground. Be ready to adapt. Neither one we killed were "traditional" backs against the tree and calling them in. We killed 1 by using a ravine to our advantage and crawling within range and the other we got lucky on the last day and used a full strut decoy to coax one off private back on our side of the fence.
We drove 20hrs from Florida to kill a Rio so we did whatever we had to do to get it done. You'll see a bunch of birds (jake gangs will run your gobbler off, had it happen more than once) so just be patient and persistent and you will be successful. Good Luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Following as I will be going in 2020 or 2021
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."