OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Such a Thing As a " Universal " Turkey Decoy Stake?

Started by Turkeytider, February 12, 2019, 09:24:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 12, 2019, 05:25:10 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on February 12, 2019, 05:19:32 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 12, 2019, 05:15:02 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on February 12, 2019, 05:11:32 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 12, 2019, 04:49:26 PM
Quote from: JLH on February 12, 2019, 11:50:30 AM
I use arrows.....cut them to the length you need...glue an insert on both ends and a field point on both ends.
They weigh nothing, plenty strong enough.....even have a couple long ones for when the grass grows up.
Not trying to be a wiseguy or anything, but how do you carry them safely? I would think one bad fall and you could Shish kebab yourself.
You just cut you piece of PVC pipe and put end caps on each end to hold your cut arrow shaft's for carrying your homemade decoy stakes ... This all comes from turkey hunting experience .. you learn to adapt....hope this helps you....
Take it you put something in the PVC pipe to keep them from rattling? Seems they would make quite the racket.
Most people used carbon arrow's now ... alum is okkkk ... just put you rubber band around the arrows
They would still bump the tops and sides of the PVC pipes they were in thus making noise.
LOOK... carry them in your shirt pocket or your back pocket , i don't really carry how you carry your decoy stakes .. You have to go hunting first to worry about your decoy stakes rattling ....lol .....

Turkeytider

Geeze guys!! Had no idea that what I thought was a simple question would engender such spirited discussion/debate !!  I think we`re ALL ready for turkey season!!

Gobble!

Quote from: Turkeytider on February 12, 2019, 06:50:49 PM
Geeze guys!! Had no idea that what I thought was a simple question would engender such spirited discussion/debate !!  I think we`re ALL ready for turkey season!!

Yeah these old folk get worked up easy this time of the year.  :OGturkeyhead:

TRG3

Speaking of making a little noise, a couple of years ago I learned that in the dark and by using a red or green light as I made my way around the edge of a fescue field, turkeys don't seem to be that spooked by a few sounds. After all, there are many nocturnal creatures stirring around out there. I set out my decoys, put up my camo screen in front of me, adjusted my ground lounger, and settled it only to find out as the sun came up that I'd set up about 20 yards from roosted gobblers and hens! I filled my tag at fly down.

randy6471

Flambeau makes a decent 2 piece plastic universal folding stake. Usually you can pick them up for 3-4 bucks.

The arrow trick works pretty good and as far as any noise/rattle, it's no different than the old feather flex 2 piece aluminum stakes....just throw a rubber band around them.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I use arrows.....cut them to the length you need...glue an insert on both ends and a field point on both ends.
They weigh nothing, plenty strong enough.....even have a couple long ones for when the grass grows up.
Not trying to be a wiseguy or anything, but how do you carry them safely? I would think one bad fall and you could Shish kebab yourself.
Some vests have a water bladder pouch. Its in the middle of your back. That's where I put all my stakes. Never makes a sound. I rarely use them though.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Greg Massey

Quote from: Gobble! on February 12, 2019, 07:20:18 PM

Yeah these old folk get worked up easy this time of the year.  :OGturkeyhead:
I still don't care how you carry your decoy stakes , if you use decoy's ... I'm only as old as i feel ... lol :jackson:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: randy6471 on February 12, 2019, 08:00:42 PM
Flambeau makes a decent 2 piece plastic universal folding stake. Usually you can pick them up for 3-4 bucks.

The arrow trick works pretty good and as far as any noise/rattle, it's no different than the old feather flex 2 piece aluminum stakes....just throw a rubber band around them.
That would seem must safer and quieter to be, thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: randy6471 on February 12, 2019, 08:00:42 PM

That would seem must safer and quieter to me, thanks.

Sorry about that, truly was trying to get a honest reply to things I could see going wrong with how he said he carried them, some people just can't handle to many questions thrown at them I guess.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

JLH

They go inside the decoy.....decoys go inside a bag...bag goes on my back.

Lots of others ways I can get hurt....the decoy stakes are definately not gonna do any damage ;)

Sir-diealot

Quote from: JLH on February 12, 2019, 10:52:00 PM

Lots of others ways I can get hurt....the decoy stakes are definately not gonna do any damage ;)
Must be either bigger decoys than I realize or shorter arrow shafts. I am guessing the second.

John Koenig:

Greg Massey

Agree , and the good part about using arrow shaft is you can make your decoy stakes different length's and use them accordingly to the terrain your hunting and how bad the fields are growed up etc...

Ranger

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 12, 2019, 10:57:32 PM

Must be either bigger decoys than I realize or shorter arrow shafts. I am guessing the second.

Man, take a break with the expert analysis and complex questioning. You've already said numerous times you haven't killed a bird yet, yet continue to stick your beak in any and every thread no matter what the topic.  Stop typing for a few days and start reading and trying to become a better hunter perhaps, and shut the heck up and quit acting like you've got to comment on everything out there and offer your opinion.  You're like a kid at the table that needs to do the most listening, but who can't keep their mouth shut long enough to learn anything.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Turkeytider

Mods , as the OP, I'd like to request that this thread please be closed. The thought that my inquiry would cause hard feelings between folks on the board never entered my mind. I'm sorry I posted it.

turkaholic

HS strut makes a nice folding stake. It's very QUIET, no rattling around, just reach in grab it unfold and your all set. It is plastic and easy to stick in and has a washer type thingie on top. Don't close this thread , just ignore! After all it's February guys.
live to hunt hunt to live