Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Such a Thing As a " Universal " Turkey Decoy Stake?

Started by Turkeytider, February 12, 2019, 09:24:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeytider

Anybody know if any such a thing might exist? Like my decoys ( Primos ) but the two piece stakes are a PIA in the dark. Would like to replace with a simple one piece that requires no assembly.

Deputy 14

I quit carrying stakes and use sticks. It seemed like I lost them every time i went out. Now I can just leave them and theyr way more eco friendly lol.

Gobble!

Figure up what length and diameter you need and any hardware store should should sell something you could use.

tomstopper

My buddy just uses dowel rods for his. Buys a long length and then cuts them to different sizes for what he wants

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

RED NECK

I use either a piece of copper pipe or threaded rod with a washer and a nut on it instead of plastic that most come with.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

longspur

I used to lose my stakes  all the time or break them. Cut me a couple of sticks the size I wanted them. Been using the same ones for six years. Figure that one out.

JLH

I use arrows.....cut them to the length you need...glue an insert on both ends and a field point on both ends.
They weigh nothing, plenty strong enough.....even have a couple long ones for when the grass grows up.

Turkeytider

Quote from: tomstopper on February 12, 2019, 10:32:17 AM
My buddy just uses dowel rods for his. Buys a long length and then cuts them to different sizes for what he wants

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Now there`s a thought.

TRG3

A couple of years ago, three subordinate gobblers attack my Pretty Boy, breaking the upright plastic stake and even continued to flog him on the ground. While one of them got to ride home with me in my truck, I needed to replace the stake. To make decoy transportation more compact, I used a couple of short dowel rods with a piece of pvc as a connector in the middle, sprayed them flat black, and the turkeys didn't seem to notice the change.

MK M GOBL

My DSD's have steel stakes and not had one break, they are heavier and they do sell replacements. Can't figure to lose one though, they store in decoys body and I carry in their bag. Might able to do something like that so they store in body. I have made a bunch of stakes at varying lengths for decoys over the years from old aluminum and now carbon shafts.

MK M GOBL

Sir-diealot

Quote from: JLH on February 12, 2019, 11:50:30 AM
I use arrows.....cut them to the length you need...glue an insert on both ends and a field point on both ends.
They weigh nothing, plenty strong enough.....even have a couple long ones for when the grass grows up.
Not trying to be a wiseguy or anything, but how do you carry them safely? I would think one bad fall and you could Shish kebab yourself.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 12, 2019, 04:49:26 PM
Not trying to be a wiseguy or anything, but how do you carry them safely? I would think one bad fall and you could Shish kebab yourself.
You just cut you piece of PVC pipe and put end caps on each end to hold your cut arrow shaft's for carrying your homemade decoy stakes ... This all comes from turkey hunting experience .. you learn to adapt....hope this helps you....

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 12, 2019, 05:11:32 PM
You just cut you piece of PVC pipe and put end caps on each end to hold your cut arrow shaft's for carrying your homemade decoy stakes ... This all comes from turkey hunting experience .. you learn to adapt....hope this helps you....
Take it you put something in the PVC pipe to keep them from rattling? Seems they would make quite the racket.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Greg Massey

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 12, 2019, 05:15:02 PM
Take it you put something in the PVC pipe to keep them from rattling? Seems they would make quite the racket.
Most people used carbon arrow's now ... alum is okkkk ... just put you rubber band around the arrows

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 12, 2019, 05:19:32 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 12, 2019, 05:15:02 PM
Most people used carbon arrow's now ... alum is okkkk ... just put you rubber band around the arrows
They would still bump the tops and sides of the PVC pipes they were in thus making noise.

John Koenig: