turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

For the deer experts

Started by longspur, February 12, 2019, 05:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longspur

I was looking for turkeys in a place where normal people don't go. Walked up on a bedding area of a Bachelor group of bucks. 3 dry beds (it was raining). Several wet beds. Saw the deer on another ridge, they were mature to say the least. Is it likely they will still be bedding there early bow season. I know not to go back in there anymore. What would your strategy be? North Georgia.

Happy

Not a deer expert but I have killed one or two. I would say that this time next year one or more will be back there. It's been my experience that they change bedding according to many factors. Food, water, pressure, and does during the rut are key. Not a lot of mature buck bedding areas are used year round.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

hush

Great find! Post season/early spring patterns will differ from fall, or in our case(GA), late summer when the season starts. Calendar says fall, thermometer says summer. That group of bucks will  split up, but likely still use that area. Is there a post season food source there now that could be less attractive in the fall? Water nearby? What you did find is a place where mature deer travel and feel comfortable bedding. Those safe spots may not change and have a chance to hold deer year round. Inevitably, the rut will call deer away, and also invite new bucks to the area. The most important thing though, is that you are close enough to invite me to turkey hunt! Kidding. Strategy wise, I'd not pound it during the off season. Lightly scout surrounds before season. A mock scrape or two will help take inventory. Stick a stand there this fall and see what happens. Good luck this season.

Bowguy

I don't know much about your area but I've never seen bachelor groups real late in the season like this but it's surely possible maybe they've already gotten back together. Couple things you say really confuse me. For one they still have horns right now? The mature bucks as you've stated seeing typically shed quicker. I've never seen one big mature buck w horns past Jan never mind a group. Next thing is down south when is your rut? Remember unbred does come back in, chances are any mature bucks wouldn't be associating w each other anywhere near this time frame.
Ok so to address your question. The answer is very unlikely. The food, cover, water, etc is all likely to be vastly dif so will preferred areas

wvmntnhick

Several factors will dictate where they're bedding in early bow season. First, how early in the season is it? Not uncommon to still see bachelor groups together in early season. Maybe not the whole gang but if their age structure is pretty close, they'll generally tolerate each other a bit longer. This past January we had a late heritage hunt. Middle of January I saw 5 bucks hanging out solo. Next day, saw them again. Once the rut competition is over, the adrenaline levels drop and they'll again tolerate one another.

Food will be the big thing that time of year. They'll bed as close to it as they feel comfortable. Soon as hunters start to show up, they'll leave and go deeper into cover.

Not uncommon to have antlers now either. Still seeing bucks with antlers here. Milder the weather, longer they'll hold them. Especially if they've got a good food supply. I've seen bucks not shed until just before they were gonna start new growth.

Big thing to keep in mind, if they feel
Safe there, that's where they'll go when they get pressured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sixes

I'm from north central Ga and have killed a few deer over the years. I'd say no, the bucks will not be there at the start of the season BUT, if you know where they are bedded now, you can plan where you want to be next year starting in late December. I've saw over the years that deer, especially bucks will go to certain areas late in the year and they will go there year after year unless something major happens to the landscape.

Sixes

I've seen bucks around here still holding onto their antlers in early turkey season. Also saw some that have already started growing them back during turkey season.

Just like humans, no 2 are alike. Some are small bodied, some are fat pigs, some grow large racks early in life, some never have large antlers.

Cut N Run

I've been feeding the deer behind my house every day for 26 years and I get to see quite a bit of their behavior.  I obviously don't see as many mature bucks post-rut as I do during the rut, but usually when I see one buck in winter, there are more with him.  Deer go through a yarding effect through the winter where they group up for protection.  I normally have a core group of one dozen does/fawns that visit daily, though in the middle of winter that number doubles.  The most deer I had here was 27 at once.  In mid-winter, the bucks show up as a group to eat if the doe group is here or not.  During the rut, bucks come here on their own, always alone to chase does.

I've seen bucks with a full set antlers as late as the second week of March and the latest I found a shed here was the 3rd week of March.  The bigger bucks shad their antlers ahead of the younger bucks regularly.

The bedding area you found is likely a safe place they don't get pressured much. Guarantee it is close to a feeding area like wvmntnhick said. Check out the trees in that area and look for rubs. Bucks don't tend to rub much post-rut, so if there are a lot of rubs around that bedding area, that place also matters in Fall and would be worth hunting.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

longspur

I didn't see any antlers, just very large deer. And the beds were longer than I'm used to seeing. I have saw antlers on smaller deer in late April. They are usually back together here. And will be in early bow season (mid September) and will still have velvet. Big creek at the bottom, very steep and thick on both sides. Found lots of white oak acorns but they had worms. Takes an hour to walk there. I've found places like this before but I can never hang a stand in bow range without them changing their address. Maybe they left for some other reasons (food supply, close to rut etc.) but I always do it after season opens and feel like I invaded there privacy and they moved. Maybe I'll try to hang it in August. But for now I'll concentrate on the few and far between turkey. Which I haven't found Hush,  ;D YET!!!

Happy

Study the wind and how to get in undetected. Mature bucks pick there bedding putting everything to their advantage. Around here in the mountains they typically bed on points or the sides of ridges with the wind at their backs and a good vantage below. Getting in tight to the bedding undetected is the hard part. It usually doesn't take long for them to catch on either.

LaLongbeard

If you saw no antlers you could have jumped a few big does so non of it matters. Like said previously the vegetation and food sources will be completely different during early season. The best case you found a bedding area of "deer" late winter.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

longspur

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 12, 2019, 09:16:24 AM
If you saw no antlers you could have jumped a few big does so non of it matters. Like said previously the vegetation and food sources will be completely different during early season. The best case you found a bedding area of "deer" late winter.
Don't believe does. Deer too big and beds too long. It is possible though. I wouldn't shoot a doe there. Take half a day of hard labor to get it out. LOL

Bowguy

Quote from: Sixes on February 12, 2019, 07:49:29 AM
I've seen bucks around here still holding onto their antlers in early turkey season. Also saw some that have already started growing them back during turkey season.

Just like humans, no 2 are alike. Some are small bodied, some are fat pigs, some grow large racks early in life, some never have large antlers.
Sixes I've seen a deer or two as well. Matter or fact a 5 pt was in yard last nt. Pituitary glands start the growth but lowering testosterone  supposedly causes antler drop quicker. A mature buck this would reason drops quicker. I've never seen a large buck this late and never even heard of a group. I have no idea how southern deer act horn drop wise but I'd assume it pretty late already

Bowguy

Here's a pic of buck last night. I'm pretty opposed to cameras for scouting but just to see what's around after season I don't care too much. Anyway this is northern NJ. It's not real common

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

I passed on a buck that was missing a side in mid January. I didn't pass because of that though. I was done with meat collecting for the year and he wasn't the one I was after.