turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tornadoes in Mississippi and Alabama again

Started by BOFF, April 27, 2011, 07:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bird

Amazing video but at the same time this person was not brave but very stupid for even trying to get a close up video of the tornado.  Tornadoes are so unpredictable as they can change direction in the blink of an eye or even drop other tornadoes down trapping you with no place to escape or find shelter. 

Also not to take away from the loss of property and life from these storms but I would also like to offer a heads up for those living in the affected areas.  You are going to see a drastic decrease in available building products such as lumber, shingles, etc because of all the rebuilding that will be going on.  Your also going to see a very high probability of looting of the damage properties to include people scavenging copper.   Insurance and construction scammers are going to invade these areas so be on your lookout.  Your going to see the best and the worst of what mankind is capable of after this devastating event. 

Basser69

The looting has already started. The news said earlier that they were talking to some of the victims and a truck pulled by and picked up a piece of aluminum siding, threw it in the back and kept driving

ILIKEHEVI-13

That had to be a EF-4.  Maybe even an EF-5.  That destruction is devastating. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Does anyone know the specifics of how long this tornado was on the ground and how many miles its course was? 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Ok I just watched the video that Basser posted.  I have no doubt that probably was a EF-5.  May go down as the most destructive torando ever.  

CASH

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on April 28, 2011, 01:28:31 PM
Does anyone know the specifics of how long this tornado was on the ground and how many miles its course was? 

It was on the ground from Mississppi to North Carolina.  300 something miles
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

bowhunter84

Quote from: CASH on April 28, 2011, 02:01:52 PM

thats what i heard also. they said it may be the longest in this nations history

ILIKEHEVI-13

It was on the ground from Mississppi to North Carolina.  300 something miles

Then there is no doubt in my mind that it was in fact an EF-5 tornado then.  It would take one big cell to fuel something like that for that long.  Anything smaller probably wouldn't be able to obtain such a great distance.  

bowhunter84

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on April 28, 2011, 02:12:28 PM

Then there is no doubt in my mind that it was in fact an EF-5 tornado then.  It would take one big cell to fuel something likethat for that long.  Anything smaller probably wouldn't be able to obtain such a great distance. 
i agree. it takes a beast to go as far as this one did and do the damage it did

HOOKS1

I was driving from Calhoun, GA back to my home in Louisiana during these tornadoes. I saw 10 different funnel clouds and much destruction. Was on I59 about 20 Miles north of Birmingham when the big one came through and took shelter under a overpass bridge for 30 minutes,very, very scary. There was debris for over a 100 miles along my route in Alabama. The destruction I could see along the I20 at Tuscaloosa was terrible. Prays for all in the path of these storms and thanks to GOD I made it home.

bird

Quote from: HOOKS1 on April 28, 2011, 03:33:36 PM
I was driving from Calhoun, GA back to my home in Louisiana during these tornadoes. I saw 10 different funnel clouds and much destruction. Was on I59 about 20 Miles north of Birmingham when the big one came through and took shelter under a overpass bridge for 30 minutes,very, very scary. There was debris for over a 100 miles along my route in Alabama. The destruction I could see along the I20 at Tuscaloosa was terrible. Prays for all in the path of these storms and thanks to GOD I made it home.

I know that you didn't know this otherwise you would of never done it but it is a proven fact that taking shelter under a bridge overpass is one of the most dangerous places to be during a tornado.  It is safer to lay flat in a ditch then to try and hide under a bridge over pass.

gatrkyhntr70

<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

HOOKS1

Quote from: bird on April 28, 2011, 03:43:18 PM
Quote from: HOOKS1 on April 28, 2011, 03:33:36 PM

I know that you didn't know this otherwise you would of never done it but it is a proven fact that taking shelter under a bridge overpass is one of the most dangerous places to be during a tornado.  It is safer to lay flat in a ditch then to try and hide under a bridge over pass.

No, I did not know I would be in this mess. I did not get out of my truck but a UPS driver did. Debris was flying by, and I not going to get out of my truck, laid the seat back and prayed.

Turkey Trot

That tornado that hit Tuscaloosa and B'ham passed through NW GA with immense energy well after dark and did damage on up into the Blairsville, Union County, GA area.  We had tornadoes passing through GA one after the other last night.  None were as severe as that one in Tuscaloosa, but we got it pretty good.  They were mighty close to people I know and killed several.

The one thing that stood out were remarks by a local weatherman on WSB TV last night regarding a tornado that hit Spalding County and then others.  He showed a 3D depiction of the radar signature of debris in the funnel, and stated that it was pulling it 5,000 feet into the air.  He stated that he had seen that in tornadoes out west with the radar, but never had seen that in GA since they got the radar they have now.  I guess it's the VIPR Doppler radar.  That storm killed people, and pulled the daughter of a deputy sheriff out of her bedroom while still in bed and laid her down outside in the yard with minor injuries.  They are a lucky family.

I'm glad that front is gone and I don't look forward to another.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter