OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How Long Will They Keep?

Started by KS_Strutter, April 27, 2011, 01:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KS_Strutter

Greeting fellow turkey hunters! This is my first post however I have been trolling the forum for the last couple of years. I just started turkey hunting and this has been a valued resource as I have been able to successfully tag out each year.  :z-guntootsmiley:

This season has been rough so far as I have had everything imaginable go wrong. Needless to say I was successful harvesting my first bird of the year yesterday.

However,  I did forget my box I keep on my turkey cleaning stuff in.

The short of a long story is it was almost 9 hours before the bird was processed.  The temps yesterday were cool. 63 for the high and overcast. 

I breasted the bird out and was very careful not to rupture any internals. It was also a very clean kill as there wasn't a single pellet in the breast.

I am devastated as I believe every hunter should eat what they harvest. At the same time I don't want to make my family sick. So my question is do you think the meat is ok?

What is the max time you would wait?

doepee

Basser69

If it smells fine you will be fine

:welcomeOG:

Hognutz

I agree. The smell test is about all you have to go with. If in doubt about it, feed the wife first, then eat the left overs the next day.. No need to thank me, I'm here to help..Mike  :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

mnturkey

You should be fine, the meat will taste just fine.
As others have said smell it and if it smells fresh and not bad you and your family will be fine.
SEMPER FI

TnTurk

Quote from: Hognutz on April 27, 2011, 02:13:30 PM
I agree. The smell test is about all you have to go with. If in doubt about it, feed the wife first, then eat the left overs the next day.. No need to thank me, I'm here to help..Mike  :you_rock:
:o  I'm a gonna tell Mrs. Nutz what you said. You might have to change your screen name.   :TooFunny:

KS_Strutter

Love it! :TooFunny:

I think raw turkey  (both domestic and wild) stinks no matter what so I guess I am going to have to someone else use their sniffer.

I was actually shocked when I cut it open and it didn't stink to high heaven.  I have cleaned ducks, pheasant, geese, and quail that smelled 100X worse.

bowhunter84

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

BOFF

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Your killing me Mike from laughing too much!!!

Glad I wasn't eating, as it would have been spewed all over the monitor!!

God Bless,
David B.

TalksToTurkeys

If in doubt about it, feed the wife first, then eat the left overs the next day.. :you_rock:

:angel9:

Reloader

It should be fine.  I've waited several hours in much warmer temps with no issues.

doepee

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

TRKYHTR

You should be fine. I've hung turkeys in the mountains for a day and a half before breasting them out, without a problem.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

stinkpickle

LOL!  This.

hookedspur

Quote from: Reloader on April 27, 2011, 04:55:54 PM
It should be fine.  I've waited several hours in much warmer temps with no issues.
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions