turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

30 Dollars a box

Started by TrackeySauresRex, February 04, 2019, 12:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrackeySauresRex

With the season near, I'm thinking about ordering some shells.
Question, When is enough.. Enough?
Yes it's nice to shoot the best. The best range, pattern, nock down power. 30 bucks for a box of 5 is just crazy for me. I do understand we owe it to ourselves and the game we pursue. But, I want my Fed 7's back.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

dirt road ninja

it's only going to get worse as they can't keep up with the demand now.

Gooserbat

I load my own at $7 each. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TrackeySauresRex

Next best available option is the Hevi. A half a dozen boxes should last me a few years.

SD_smith

I agree. Even Win. Longbeards are a little too expensive for my taste. Especially since we go thru a easily a box and a half a year of them. Damn these western states that let you buy a bunch of tags....

RutnNStrutn

We're our own worst enemies. They come up with it, we buy it, the demand goes through the roof......along with the price. ::)

Jeremy66

If you can find the right combo for your gun and choke I cant imagine shooting enough each year to matter.  But I guess some of you are able to harvest multiple birds a year or like to do a lot of patterning that it may affect.

I have been contemplating going with TSS this year but have yet to decide.

Greg Massey

In the last couple years , i have bought enough Federal HW 7 .. to last the rest of my life ..

valerio024

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 04, 2019, 02:05:07 PM
I'm curious are you talking $7 a round or a box of five? And what are you loading (TSS, lead, heavyweight, etc)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobble!

Good news, they still make lead so no one is forcing anyone to shoot TSS.

Its just like anything else. Arrows, broadheads, bows, crossbows, cars, trucks, carrots, etc.

Think a deer knows the difference between a arrow shot from a $2,600 crossbow vs a $380 crossbow?

I can buy a new cummins for $44k or $57k. They have the same tow capacity. But one can warm or cool my butt.

TSS is the organic carrots of the turkey hunting world. Do you need organic carrots? No. But they may taste better. Do you need TSS? No. But those extra pellets may save your butt if you make a mistake.

I'd still shoot it if it was $20 a shell. To me $20 for the best patterning shell I can throw at a turkey is nothing.

Gobble!

Quote from: valerio024 on February 04, 2019, 02:26:18 PM
Quote from: Gooserbat on February 04, 2019, 02:05:07 PM
I'm curious are you talking $7 a round or a box of five? And what are you loading (TSS, lead, heavyweight, etc)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's talking per shell. I can load a 2.5oz shell for $8.53. Up from $8.15 three years ago.

Jrkimbrough

Quote from: Gobble! on February 04, 2019, 02:28:58 PM

I'd still shoot it if it was $20 a shell. To me $20 for the best patterning shell I can throw at a turkey is nothing.

Agreed!  $10 a shell is nothing compared to what I spend in fuel, turkey calls, trail cameras, clothing, turkey vests, etc, etc...  Once you find a shell/choke combo that works in your gun you really don't even have to do that much patterning from then on out.....or do like I did and build an inexpensive shot trap and save your shot and reload it.  I patterned 4 different combos this weekend and trapped 5 oz of shot from 6 oz of what I shot.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 04, 2019, 02:26:02 PM
In the last couple years , i have bought enough Federal HW 7 .. to last the rest of my life ..

:icon_thumright:

Quote from: Gobble! on February 04, 2019, 02:28:58 PM
Good news, they still make lead so no one is forcing anyone to shoot TSS.

We're all good here , I wasn't trying to create controversy. We shoot what ever we want or what we can afford. I'd go back to lead without a problem. Great hunting patters in the low 30 yard range with my 20ga. However.. A little extra in tha 20 is nice to have.   ;D

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on February 04, 2019, 02:17:15 PM
We're our own worst enemies. They come up with it, we buy it, the demand goes through the roof......along with the price. ::)

Agreed Brudda!

Boykin Hollow

I shoot a 20 gauge so I want the best shell that I can afford, so I load my own TSS # 9's.

SteelerFan

T Rex - I totally understand the sticker shock. Had it myself this year! lol

I've convinced myself it's somewhat justified when you break it all down. Hunting with a 20 ga. I know it will be the best. I'm not going dove hunting with it, and it will be one of the cheapest things I carry into the woods.

I recently did the math on the carbon arrow, lighted nock, rage tipped missile I launch at deer... scared myself! I asked a buddy the same, since when did we think it was OK to shoot $30 at a deer?  ???