OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tj Johnson call

Started by fordhunt, January 31, 2019, 10:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jed clampett

Paul makes great calls..congrats to him...just wish you could get some. Without paying a arm and a leg and not taking orders!

NeverRoosting

Quote from: jed clampett on February 15, 2019, 12:31:39 PM
Paul makes great calls..congrats to him...just wish you could get some. Without paying a arm and a leg and not taking orders!

For those in Nashville bidding on the calls he entered, it might take a left nut to go along with that arm and leg to land one of them.

shatcher

He had a table set up and selling calls yesterday in Nashville.  He was with Marlin.  I bought two of Marlin's!

TauntoHawk

Is TJs price the same as marlins?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

shatcher

TJ was 175.  Marlin was 225.

Gog1015

Depends on the combo as to what TJ and Marlin charge, TJ's combos start at $175 and they go up from there or that has been my experience.

idratherb

greencop01

For my  :z-twocents: I like Albert Paul's short boxes. But your opinions and mine don't mean squat until it shines in the opinion of the master, Mr. Tom Turkey himself. We're all guilty saying our calls are superior to others by our ears and likes, not those of Mr. Tom. Its his opinion that matters MOST OF ALL.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Will

I have some nice drills and saws but that doesn't mean I can build a house. Calls are tools and being able to use these tools is something different. I do not have one of Mr Johnson's boxes yet but I look forward to getting my first one. I'm very happy that Mr Watkins has mentored him because I'm a huge fan of his calls. I hope Mr Johnson starts building yelpers to but hats off to him for continuing a tradition of building turkey calls. If I could I would!

va longbeard

Anyone have any advice on wood combos from TJ for boxes I am on his list now.

Greg Massey

Quote from: va longbeard on February 17, 2019, 07:25:38 PM
Macassar ebony over Holly ... I got one from him at Nashville ... outstanding on both sides ...

vt35mag

Go with what he recommends with the wood he has on hand when your name is up.
Can make the difference between a good call and a smoking call, or being happy with a call and thrilled with a call.
I'm sure he has had a bunch of guys wanting an ipe/persimmon or snakewood/holly but the truth is when your name comes up he maybe making your call with wood from a different tree than what he made those calls from and may not tune the same or end up sounding similar

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

va longbeard

Quote from: vt35mag on February 17, 2019, 08:05:49 PM
Can make the difference between a good call and a smoking call, and being happy with a call and thrilled with a call.

Good advice I think that is what I am going to do!

Thanks

Greg Massey

Quote from: vt35mag on February 17, 2019, 08:05:49 PM
Can make the difference between a good call and a smoking call, or being happy with a call and thrilled with a call.
I'm sure he has had a bunch of guys wanting an ipe/persimmon or snakewood/holly but the truth is when your name comes up he maybe making your call with wood from a different tree than what he made those calls from and may not tune the same or end up sounding similar

I agree with this 100 percent .. people love fruit boxes , but some fruit boxes can change from the best to the worst over a short period of time ...

crenshawco

I've got a bloodwood / cherry headed my way from TJ tomorrow. It sounds awesome in the sound file too. Glad I got on the list before Nashville!