OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best turkey vest ever made.. will they make it again?

Started by chufagold, January 31, 2019, 08:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chufagold

A few years back I came across a Bob dixon vest and never looked back.
This vest is very superior is quality to anything they make now and I wonder if we will ever see another vest like it.
thoughts?

LaLongbeard

There's already been a couple knockoffs of the Dixen neither was very successful. I had a Dixon and it was well made quality materials and well thought out pocket design. But it weighed more empty than my current vest loaded and ready to hunt. The vest was also really hot I sold it for a profit and do not miss it even a little.
I don't think anyone will make a vest of similar quality again. Most people now days have very  short attention spans and flitter  from one thing to the next, one minute there deer hunters then bass fishermen... then wait its turkey season. They spend more time trying to catch the latest fad there not interested in a vest that may last 20 years, most change vests every year some change there guns as often. If it has a shiney camo pattern and a bunch of pockets, doesn't matter if the pockets are useful or in a good location. Just a lot of zippers and pockets and maybe some new way to attach the seat and there estatic... well until the season is over then there on to golf or whatever and maybe never pick that vest up again.
If I owned a sporting goods company I'd not sell anything I'd rent guns,calls and vests lol
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Bowguy

Quote from: LaLongbeard on January 31, 2019, 09:16:39 PM
There's already been a couple knockoffs of the Dixen neither was very successful. I had a Dixon and it was well made quality materials and well thought out pocket design. But it weighed more empty than my current vest loaded and ready to hunt. The vest was also really hot I sold it for a profit and do not miss it even a little.
I don't think anyone will make a vest of similar quality again. Most people now days have very  short attention spans and flitter  from one thing to the next, one minute there deer hunters then bass fishermen... then wait its turkey season. They spend more time trying to catch the latest fad there not interested in a vest that may last 20 years, most change vests every year some change there guns as often. If it has a shiney camo pattern and a bunch of pockets, doesn't matter if the pockets are useful or in a good location. Just a lot of zippers and pockets and maybe some new way to attach the seat and there estatic... well until the season is over then there on to golf or whatever and maybe never pick that vest up again.
If I owned a sporting goods company I'd not sell anything I'd rent guns,calls and vests lol
Funny you think exactly like me. There is a difference on this forum though there's some serious long term guys here.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Bowguy on January 31, 2019, 09:39:54 PM

Funny you think exactly like me. There is a difference on this forum though there's some serious long term guys here.
What's the old saying about "Great minds think alike" lol not many nowadays

Gamblinman

I doubt anyone could afford to market a Dixon vest copy, but I sure wish they would bring the Limbhanger back. Mine is getting rough in some places.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

FLGobstopper

I could of written that same thing. Had 2 Dixon's & 2 Limbhanger's and sold them all. Dixon's were too hot, too heavy but a wonderful vest and incredible design. I tried to enjoy hunting them but it's too much for here in FL with the heat and I couldn't justify a vest collected dust either. The Limbhanger was ok.

Tried about every vest out there. Been using Tactical Tater's the past 3 or 4 years and they're good enough.

Ranger

I agree about the Limbhanger vest, best ever made in my opinion. Wish I had bought 3 at the time.  Quality of the Dixon vest without the bulk and weight, and I'm 6ft 240 and wear a M/L and it fits perfectly. I like a vest to sit up above the waistline like a vest and never have your legs move your calls around while climbing or stepping over logs.  I cut the top expandable locator call pocket off and got the wife to sew a zippered box call pocket cut off of an old Super Elite vest right above the box call pocket and over the other locator sleeve, Thermacell rides perfectly.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

chufagold

I owned a limbhanger and I loved it but the quality just wasn't there. That's where the dixon shines above the rest

Cut N Run

I love my Limbhanger & hate I didn't buy extras when I had the chance.   They're built on the Dixon design, which I rate as the best vest ever made.

I got a Nomad MG last year, though I find the zippers poor quality.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Harty

Personally I like something that LASTs. The Limbhanger I believe would cost too much to make and be cost prohibitive for most. I handed mine on to my Son. Trying to go a light as possible these days.

tha bugman

I liked the Limbhanger, I just didn't love it for some reason.  Sold it and moved on.  Probably never find "The Perfect Vest"  but in all reality it's not a necessity.  I didn't even know of anyone that had a vest when I started back in the day. Heck, we were lucky if we had a boat cushion... :TooFunny:  I will never forget going in Walmart and finding this fanny pack that had a cushion (more like a napkin) that velcroed up.  It had a box call holder and another pocket.  Probably cost about $20...I remember my daddy saying "Boy, you really like throwing your money away." :TooFunny:

LaLongbeard

I found an old school American made Greenleaf camo vest  awhile back, it weighs  very little has pockets in the right place, and not a single zipper anywhere( I hate zippers on vests). Nothing compares to the old stuff which was a lot better quality and the camo doesn't fade nearly as bad. For some reason most of the new vests the camo is shiney looking, and the fabric is cheap no thanks

GomerPyle

I haven't hunted my Alps Grand Slam yet, and I've never tried a Dixon, but based simply on looking at them, I feel like I'd like the layout of the Alps better.

Truthfully, I absolutely love my old Mossy Oak Super Elite (with the NWTF patch) but it's worn slap out.  The layout of pockets is perfect.  My only complaint is that the seat cushion is awful (very thin and worn out).  If the Alps ends up not working out, I'll go find a new Super Elite with the better cushion.
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

bobk

For me the Dixon and Limbhanger are the two best vest that I ever owned. Great layout and quality.  I have given up on vests and have switched to a Green's satchel.

longspur

23 years. Two guns (one was stolen). One vest, cabelas couch potato. Two ole yeller calls (sat down on one). I do buy mouth calls about every year, the same ones.  :turkey: