News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Solid pants for turkey hunting?

Started by chode2235, January 30, 2019, 01:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chode2235

Hey there everyone,

Looking at my turkey hunting kit for this upcoming spring.  Over the past couple of years have really grown to love hunting in my Prana Zion pants vs almost all other 'hunting pants' out there.  Light, breathable, stretchy, and pretty moisture resistant. Only problem, for turkey they are a solid color -- and I've always been led to believe i need head to toe camo. 

Appreciate everyone's thoughts on whether they would go into the woods with solid pants -- the two colors i have are olive/green and mud/brown, which one would you wear?

I plan to pair them up with a first lite fusion top that I wear for everything. 

Gooserbat

either will be fine.  just about any earth tone works.  When I lived in amish country they wore gray  and killed a lot of birds.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

silvestris

I wish they made comfortable hunting clothes in a solid treebark grey color.  For the most part, camo is a little overblown, considering the price.  However, since they don't make them (that I am aware of), I wear camo.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

LaLongbeard

Movement is what will give you away more than camo. If your concerned get you a piece of camo material and spread it over your legs when you set up , noticed the hunting public guys do this with a piece of leafy camo material.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

ChiefBubba

Quote from: LaLongbeard on January 30, 2019, 02:02:42 PM
Movement is what will give you away more than camo. If your concerned get you a piece of camo material and spread it over your legs when you set up , noticed the hunting public guys do this with a piece of leafy camo material.

Camo was invented for people that can't sit still. Any earth tone colors will work. Bubba

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: LaLongbeard on January 30, 2019, 02:02:42 PM
Movement is what will give you away more than camo.
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
A lot of times I wear a different color top than bottom, depending on where you are sitting. Nothing wrong with wearing brown to match dirt, green to match grass or weeds, etc. As long as you're not dancing around :funnyturkey:, the turkeys won't notice you.

Happy

Camo is nice but not necessary but it can help some. However for turkey hunting I can get camo clothes as cheap as anything else so I wear camo. Now deer hunting I like a good clothes. Have recently been giving first light clothes a shot. I am pretty impressed . But I happen to have some friends in the right places and can get it way cheaper than retail. Otherwise I don't think I would spring for it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

renegade19

Swather

As others have said, solid earthtones will work.

I encountered a predicament a few years back in which I did not have the right weight camo jacket to wear out on an unusually chilly spring morning.  I wore a solid green Columbia fleece jacket and things were already greening up a bit.  I sat against a tree that had green evergreen bushes on my flanks and was still.

I managed to call a hen in away from a big crowd, and she came in unusually close to check me out.  She marched to the left and right and actually stepped over and them on my foot at she took turns getting the alternate eye on me.  I have a facemask and camo hat on and sat still.  She was curious and fussed at me, but she never did an alarm and walked back down to the crowd.

Another bird might have reacted differently, even if I had been in camo, but the absence of camo on my torso was not a big factor.

slwayne

Quote from: silvestris on January 30, 2019, 01:59:47 PM
I wish they made comfortable hunting clothes in a solid treebark grey color.  For the most part, camo is a little overblown, considering the price.  However, since they don't make them (that I am aware of), I wear camo.

I noticed that the Prana Zion pants mentioned by the OP come in a charcoal gray color.  May be darker than what you are looking for but might be worth checking out.

GomerPyle

[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

backforty

I've killed birds in the fall wearing jeans. I think camo is more for the hunter than the bird and I am as guilty as the next guy.
Print by Madison, on Flickr

Boykin Hollow

My old cabelas camp pants wore out after 10 years or so and of course I could not find any that I like so I ended up purchasing two pair of used pants off Ebay.  Now I am good to go

quackaddict

You could always just get a set of leafy wear over-pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold