OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Carrying a bird

Started by turkey_slayer, January 29, 2019, 07:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blake_08

Over the shoulder for me. Personally, like some of you, i have too much respect for the bird to stuff him in a vest game bag. May sound silly to some, but i just couldn't bring myself to do it. I need to look into the bag/sock over the head trick though.

Bowguy

As a kid I always used a vest bag. It's a pia. I'd ratger just carry em on my shoulder. Got a rope for anytime I needed it to make sling. More often than not that rope has been used for a youths turkey gun sling.

RUN-N-GUN

It's over the shoulder for me unless it's a steep climb or creek crossing. I like the blood soaked pants and burning forearms! If I have to stop and a take a break it's another opportunity to admire him and give thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

I've got one of those big wheel golf bag carrier i use to haul my turkeys out with , most all my turkeys are to big to carry over my shoulder....

Kylongspur88

I'm usually a long hike (miles) from the truck and I've found the vest works best for hauling out a bird.

When using the vest or just over the shoulder I put a plastic grocery bag over his head. Keeps the vest or back of your pants from getting too bloody from that jelly head.

randy6471

Short hike and it's tote around legs and over the shoulder.
Long hike and it's in the back of my vest.

Harty

I do a lot of walking using both vest and at times a hip pack. Tradition I feel says "sling em over your shoulder". When my boys are with me and they shoot one I tell them it's time to pay the price. Me personally being called an ol' geezer ; if I'm back in a ways and solo they go in the vest!

TRG3

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on January 30, 2019, 12:41:52 PM
I use the Hunters Specialties blaze orange turkey bag. You wear it like a backpack, and it is loose enough to fit over a backpack if you're already wearing one or a decoy bag. It allows you to be hands free. Keeps the blood off of your camo's. Keeps you safe if you're hunting public land. And it folds up and doesn't take up much room in your vest, satchel or backpack.

https://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Specialties-Safety-Turkey-Accessories/product-reviews/B0000BXJ3U

Thanks for posting the photo. I love to re-purpose stuff and will be looking at yard sales for a back pack from which I'll take the adjustable shoulder straps to which I'll attach a small duffle bag. I'll also sew on a wide band of orange fabric for safety. I figure for a couple of bucks I can make this!

LaLongbeard

Quote from: TRG3 on January 31, 2019, 12:12:42 PM
Quote from: RutnNStrutn on January 30, 2019, 12:41:52 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Specialties-Safety-Turkey-Accessories/product-reviews/B0000BXJ3U

Thanks for posting the photo. I love to re-purpose stuff and will be looking at yard sales for a back pack from which I'll take the adjustable shoulder straps to which I'll attach a small duffle bag. I'll also sew on a wide band of orange fabric for safety. I figure for a couple of bucks I can make this!

TRG3 I Have one of these I don't use, if you want it I'll give it to you. PM me if your interested
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

renegade19

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 30, 2019, 06:57:02 PM
I've got one of those big wheel golf bag carrier i use to haul my turkeys out with , most all my turkeys are to big to carry over my shoulder....
All those 40 pounders got your shoulder hurting? :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Jeremy66

Anyone using a leather strap such as the Otis leather companies?  Thinking about picking one up myself.

trkehunr93

Over the shoulder with a orange plastic bag over their head to keep the blood off my pants and so I'm visible.  Carry a few rubber bands also to keep the bag on his head.  I just switch shoulders when my arm gets tired.  I've thought about converting an old sling into a carry strap but there's just something about glancing over at his spurs that I enjoy.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Quote from: GobbleNut on January 30, 2019, 08:08:58 AM
Quote from: BB30 on January 30, 2019, 12:54:06 AM
Quote from: Brad_Colvin on January 29, 2019, 07:44:41 PM
I just think a gobbler is meant to be carried or strapped and slung over the shoulder instead of being stuffed inside a vest pocket. Just personal preference I guess. I like feeling him peck the back of my leg all the way back to the truck.

Yep I am with you there is a certain way I prefer to treat my gobblers after I kill one.

I'm weird like that though. I've learned from old timers and have gotten big into doing things just as they have and did.
That's a bingo.

Agree with these comments 100%.  I suppose I am now either in or approaching the "old-timer" status at 67 and having hunted spring gobblers since 1965.  Carried my first "called-in" gobbler about five miles out of the Gila Wilderness in 1975.  He rode on my shoulder,...no vest, totes, or straps,...all the way. 

I can still remember that feeling of balancing his sternum on my shoulder, switching my aching arms as I walked out while gripping his legs just above his feet,...his head bumping against my back and the feeling of warm blood seeping through my pant legs,...all the while making sure I was doing my best not to damage any of those beautiful feathers on that bird.

I told myself right then that this is how I would carry all my gobblers out,...wherever I might be and no matter how far.  For me, it is just a sign of respect for the gobbler,...I will give them no less for as long as I am capable.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Mbhyman88

Over the shoulder most of the time unless I have a long hike, then he goes into the back of the vest.