OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Carrying a bird

Started by turkey_slayer, January 29, 2019, 07:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BTH

Tote him over my shoulder when hiking out.
He rides in the vest when mountain biking out.
He gets buried in the ground once I get the meat, tail, beard and spurs. Circle complete!
Phil 4:13

hush

I put them in a blaze orange sock and then in the back of the vest. I hunt public land and the sock makes me feel better. Holds the bird together and keeps feathers intact.

fallhnt

Quote from: tomstopper on January 29, 2019, 08:40:20 PM
Depends. If on public land, he goes in the vest for safety reasons (lots of idiots out there). If on private, he goes over the shoulder.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
No idiots on private ground?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

LRD

Paracord tote over my shoulder. 

Deputy 14

Over the shoulder wrapped in an orange vest and a sock over its head.

aaron

They deserve to be carried out.  I can't bring myself to cram him in a vest like the Wednesday morning garbage

Ranger

Quote from: aaron on January 29, 2019, 09:33:00 PM
They deserve to be carried out.  I can't bring myself to cram him in a vest like the Wednesday morning garbage

Dead on for me too.  Doesn't matter how far it is, it's a shame to stuff him in something and I like the tricep burn and the back pocket hammer.  Also a tip: when you let the wings stay open for the first hour or so and freely swing (biggest reason I tote them out even in the thick stuff) they stay loose and are great for pictures later, if you let them fold in early they stiffen and make for a tightly bound, stiff bird later.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

tracker#1

Usually the vest, but trying Glenda's satchel along with Para cord tote this Spring. Like the sock idea, for years I used a "free" orange plastic slinger bag the newspaper comes in. I roll and fold the bag up very small, put a rubber band around it, stuff it in a plastic 35mm film can (which are hard to come by these days)....nice and light, small. Bag, band it and go.

Wigsplitter

Paracord strap over the shoulder for me. A vest ride if necessary but it does tend to mess the feathers up a little if more pictures are wanted .

silvestris

I use a suitable length of 5/8 inch poly rope, tied together.  I loop the head in one end and the legs looped in the other end.  I carry him over my shoulder, head end first so his feathers don't get messed up when I go through brush.  If my shoulder gets sore, I just switch shoulders.  I carry three or four bags from the produce section of the grocery store and three or four rubber bands.  I put a bag over his head and secure the bag with a rubber band.  The other bags and rubber bands are for the next time.  Cheap, lightweight and effective.  I carry the rope in my vest.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

ozarktroutbum

When walking any sort of distance I fold the head under the wing and carry him on my hip using both arms. I was taught to do this on the first turkey I ever killed.

It distributes the weight evenly and makes it much easier to continuously carry.

Throwing him over your shoulder is for the polaroids... :icon_thumright:

PSEoutlaw07

He will always be toted over the shoulder for at least a little while, if it's a long walk he will ride in the vest for awhile but short walk, he is getting toted (assuming private land)

TRG3

Like most on here, I carry my turkey over my shoulder. I made a tote with a loop in each end and an old shoe insole in the middle to keep the cord from digging into my shoulder. Carrying a gobbler, decoy bag, ground lounger, short blind, and a shotgun is about all a guy wants to mess with.

J_mill

Everyone is entitled to their own style. As for me, that joker is taking a ride over the shoulder. Blood stains mean good things

tomstopper

Quote from: fallhnt on January 29, 2019, 09:08:14 PM
Quote from: tomstopper on January 29, 2019, 08:40:20 PM
Depends. If on public land, he goes in the vest for safety reasons (lots of idiots out there). If on private, he goes over the shoulder.

No idiots on private ground?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
There are. The private land I hunt is strictly managed by the land owner and his workers so not a lot of people trespass there. I am not saying that all people on public land are idiots. I just don't know them , and have had too many close calls (people stalking your calls and setups and even had a hen decoy shot in the fall in NY).