News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Carrying a bird

Started by turkey_slayer, January 29, 2019, 07:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB30

Quote from: Brad_Colvin on January 29, 2019, 07:44:41 PM
I just think a gobbler is meant to be carried or strapped and slung over the shoulder instead of being stuffed inside a vest pocket. Just personal preference I guess. I like feeling him peck the back of my leg all the way back to the truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yep I am with you there is a certain way I prefer to treat my gobblers after I kill one.

I'm weird like that though. I've learned from old timers and have gotten big into doing things just as they have and did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BB30

Quote from: davisd9 on January 29, 2019, 08:24:35 PM
I have a couple totes I use or let a friend use. It is a great time to thank the Lord as I walk out so I like free hands. I have too much stuff being stored in the bag to use it. I also enjoys patting/petting the feathers as I walk out remembering our dance.

Absolutely all great stuff. Not a feeling in the world like it. I'm not sure there are many things I have more of a mutual respect/ love for than a wild turkey.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Brwndg

In the vest since most hikes in/out are close to a mile or on a mountain.
If it's a short hike he goes over the shoulder w an orange plastic bag over his head.
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

wade

I use a long piece of paracord, tripled, quadrupled or whatever. That way I can use the cord if needed for something else. Never got around to weaving a paracord tote strap. I also use a piece of the same cord to make my "trophy".
Do it outdoors

GobbleNut

Quote from: BB30 on January 30, 2019, 12:54:06 AM
Quote from: Brad_Colvin on January 29, 2019, 07:44:41 PM
I just think a gobbler is meant to be carried or strapped and slung over the shoulder instead of being stuffed inside a vest pocket. Just personal preference I guess. I like feeling him peck the back of my leg all the way back to the truck.

Yep I am with you there is a certain way I prefer to treat my gobblers after I kill one.

I'm weird like that though. I've learned from old timers and have gotten big into doing things just as they have and did.

Agree with these comments 100%.  I suppose I am now either in or approaching the "old-timer" status at 67 and having hunted spring gobblers since 1965.  Carried my first "called-in" gobbler about five miles out of the Gila Wilderness in 1975.  He rode on my shoulder,...no vest, totes, or straps,...all the way. 

I can still remember that feeling of balancing his sternum on my shoulder, switching my aching arms as I walked out while gripping his legs just above his feet,...his head bumping against my back and the feeling of warm blood seeping through my pant legs,...all the while making sure I was doing my best not to damage any of those beautiful feathers on that bird.

I told myself right then that this is how I would carry all my gobblers out,...wherever I might be and no matter how far.  For me, it is just a sign of respect for the gobbler,...I will give them no less for as long as I am capable.

Tail Feathers

I usually use the game bag in the vest.  If you put them in carefully, it won't ruffle the fathers or damage anything.
I've been known to hang him in the shade just off the road and hike to the truck and drive back for him rather than carry one a long way for no good reason.  Not recommended for public land hunts.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

hush

Quote from: aaron on January 29, 2019, 09:33:00 PM
They deserve to be carried out.  I can't bring myself to cram him in a vest like the Wednesday morning garbage
Trash day is Friday, and I'd never put garbage in my vest. ;)Couple of miles out, and that vest pocket is sweet! But I respect everyones turkey toting choice!

CALLM2U

I've always just carried them over my shoulder with a blaze patch (I only hunt public land).  But this year, I'm going to get a turkey tote and carry them out that way.  Seems like a more more efficient method. 

kyturkeyhunter4

I always just use a tote

Gobble!

I tote them just to keep their feathers from getting messed up as I normally take additional pictures once home. If it wasn't for that I would shove them in the vest or just clean them in the woods.

LaLongbeard

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Jrkimbrough

Over the shoulder 99% of the time.  I can only think of one or two times I put one in the back of my vest.

I thought long and hard about buying a turkey strap but just couldn't justify adding another piece of gear to my vest when I can carry it out over the shoulder or in vest.

RutnNStrutn

I use the Hunters Specialties blaze orange turkey bag. You wear it like a backpack, and it is loose enough to fit over a backpack if you're already wearing one or a decoy bag. It allows you to be hands free. Keeps the blood off of your camo's. Keeps you safe if you're hunting public land. And it folds up and doesn't take up much room in your vest, satchel or backpack.

https://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Specialties-Safety-Turkey-Accessories/product-reviews/B0000BXJ3U

Drthorn

i've done it a few times, depending on how far i have to walk