OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Nomad MG Turkey vest

Started by PSEoutlaw07, January 27, 2019, 11:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PSEoutlaw07

Since it's been out for 1 yr, wanna hear other's likes/dislikes

My likes- patterns, closest thing I can get to a dixon vest, and thermacell holder is nice touch
Dislikes-  snap button on pot call holder and seat isn't that great, I'm 155lbs and it collapses on me, need better cushion material

chufagold

It's a good vest. Biggest con is it ain't no dixon

buzzardroost

Several threads here on the cons. The zippers are low quality and tend to break. Several reports of backward magnets in striker holders( I lost one due to that last year). I do like the layout though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SKFOOTER

Has Nomad come out with an updated version for this season??

ezmorningrebel

there was a recent thread on this vest that i wrote a lengthy reply to but in a nutshell; great layout, not so great quality.  if they put a denser foam in the seat, put some decent zippers on it, and changed the snap button closure on the pot call holder out for a buckle it would be awesome.

LaLongbeard

Unless they have completely re done the vest, the two I've seen looked really cheap and none of the zippers worked right on one of the two I looked at. The fabric was also noisy when brushed against anything. The vest looked to be made for someone wanting a Dixon but didn't have the money lol
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

RUN-N-GUN

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 01, 2019, 11:06:45 AM
Unless they have completely re done the vest, the two I've seen looked really cheap and none of the zippers worked right on one of the two I looked at. The fabric was also noisy when brushed against anything. The vest looked to be made for someone wanting a Dixon but didn't have the money lol
This makes me wonder if there was a change in manufacturing or I got lucky. I put a lot of miles on mine last season and never ran into an issue with durability. The material on mine is soft as cotton and makes no noise whatsoever.

PSEoutlaw07

I do want a Dixon, but almost impossible to find and they jumped from $600 to 2,000 bucks if you do find one
I got the money, but still pretty tough to drop 2K on a vest

BBURN

Quote from: RUN-N-GUN on February 01, 2019, 03:54:16 PM
This makes me wonder if there was a change in manufacturing or I got lucky. I put a lot of miles on mine last season and never ran into an issue with durability. The material on mine is soft as cotton and makes no noise whatsoever.

Same here. I must have got lucky because the one I got on sale right after Christmas appears to be well made as well as quite. I asked earlier and got pretty much the same poor quality feedback so I actually tried to cause failure with the zippers, pockets, and magnets but have yet to see issues. I guess I could tear it up if I really wanted to but I have a habit of taking care of my stuff as much as I can. I have added a strap and buckle to help keep the pot call pocket snap so that issue has been resolved for the most part. Time will tell how I will like the seat cushion, depth of the small pockets, and overall layout, but right now I'm pretty pleased. Besides, ain't no way in hell I'll spend $600 to $1000 on a turkey vest.

PALongspur

Does anyone have confirmation on the changes that were supposed to be made for 2019? I'm seeing this vest in stock a bunch of places (including the Nomad website), but no mention of updates.

Gog1015

BBURN can you post a pic of how you added the strap and buckle to the pot call pocket? I have this vest and would like to do the same if they don't come out with an updated vest this month.

Thanks

RUN-N-GUN

Gog1015 this is how I did mine. I cut the strap off an old thermacell holster and stitched it on.

Spitten and drummen

Mine had a couple of magnets in backwards and the striker pockets were too short. My wife corrected those issues for me. She took the magnets out and flipped them the right way and she cut the flaps off the covers , added material to them and sewed them back on. Im happy with mine now. Was aggrevated at first , but its good now. Still ticks me off that he arrived to my door like that though.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

BBURN

Quote from: Gog1015 on February 02, 2019, 08:24:22 AM
BBURN can you post a pic of how you added the strap and buckle to the pot call pocket? I have this vest and would like to do the same if they don't come out with an updated vest this month.

Thanks

Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to post photos from my iPhone to the site yet. First, I get a file too big error and when I try to downsize the photo I get a file type not recognized error. Oh well. I got the tip from the photos from Run-N-Gun. I bought my 1" strap and buckle from Hobby Lobby. I actually offset my strap towards the center of the vest (on the side of the snap instead of right on top of the snap) because it rode better for me when I put the vest on with calls installed. I think it may help the cover from sticking out and catching on things. I'll see once I put it to the real test.

turkaholic

I say this every year. When will someone make a custom turkey vest? I have had many over the 35 years of doing this. I keep sewing and adding things to keep my vest in working order. I absolutely hare most new vests. Especially those with kick stand recliners. I would pay for one if they were out there.
live to hunt hunt to live