OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

federal tss which shot size

Started by Brs2427, January 25, 2019, 12:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brs2427

i currently shoot an sb2 with trulock 650 choke and federal heavy weight 7s. I want to try the federal tss loads they offer a 2 1/2 ounce load of 7 x 9 in a duplex and a 2 1/4 ounce load of straight 9s. I will pattern whichever load i purchase but was just wondering which one yall would try out first would the extra quarter of an ounce be more pellet count even though its a duplex load.

dirt road ninja

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Jeremy66

#9, and with roughly 633 pellets in the federal 3" there is no need to shoot the 3 1/2".  Save yourself a few bucks too.

BBURN

I'm interested in this as well. I shoot a Remington 11-87 12ga with a TruLock choke and #5 Longbeard XRs. I ran across some Federal TSS #9s at my local gun store yesterday and would like to give them a try. Not sure, however, at $32 for 5 would be a good investment. My big question is will the TSS have any negative impact on the choke tube?

wchadw

I've done 7 and 9. Go with 9. I think federal is coming out with a 8 and 10 blend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobble!

#9s unless your hunting velociraptors.

Gooserbat

9s  Nothing more is really needed for turkeys.  I'd never use larger than 8s. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

bbcoach

Shoot the smallest shot in TSS your state will allow.  You didn't state what State you will be hunting in so check the regs.  Also if you plan on hunting out of your home State, check that as well. TSS will flatten turkeys so shoot 9s if allowed and go down in shell length for a 12 gauge.

LRD

Quote from: bbcoach on January 25, 2019, 02:30:53 PM
Shoot the smallest shot in TSS your state will allow.  You didn't state what State you will be hunting in so check the regs.  Also if you plan on hunting out of your home State check that as well. TSS will flatten turkeys so shoot 9s if allowed and go down in shell length for a 12 gauge.

Agree with this. #9s are deadly, and 3" is plenty in a 12.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: BBURN on January 25, 2019, 01:16:34 PM
. My big question is will the TSS have any negative impact on the choke tube?

It can, I've scared an Indian Creek on my 20. Hasn't effected performance at all, but did leave a small "rut". I guess a bb got behind the mylar.

turkeyfoot

Just adding to what already said 9 is all you need and go 3 inch its more than adequate

BBURN

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 26, 2019, 08:03:23 AM
Quote from: BBURN on January 25, 2019, 01:16:34 PM
. My big question is will the TSS have any negative impact on the choke tube?

It can, I've scared an Indian Creek on my 20. Hasn't effected performance at all, but did leave a small "rut". I guess a bb got behind the mylar.

Thanks. I figured that might be an issue so I guess I'll save some money and stick with the Longbeard XRs. If it ain't broke, no need to fix it.

jwright8

Straight 9s have been very deadly for me, but have only shot 3 turkeys with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dark Cloud

If they're better than the heavy weights ,they're a killer for sure