OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

my 1st easter bird, sc 2011

Started by flhuntress, April 26, 2011, 01:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flhuntress

been hunting turkeys for 15yrs i finally got an easter bird!!  :happy0064: :happy0064: :happy0064:
the day before i had seen a group of birds in the field to my right but they were out of range so i text RutnNStrutn (rNs/jim) and told him to get to the field...he managed to get there and was able to watch them go into the woods...i decided to move my pop up which i was using because i was bow hunting but realized the sun would be in my eyes in the morning so i needed a new game plan...rNs/jim suggested i hunt the flats in the morning and then bow hunt the peanut field in the afternoon...so that was my new game plan.
the alarm clock went off and rNs/jim struggled to get me out of bed but i finally got up, was not a happy camper!! i hate mornings.
as we were heading to the woods a deer made a fatal decision to run into my truck, thankfully it only bent and dented the bumper a little but scared the daylights out of me....we got to the woods and i headed towards the flats but more towards the creek, or so i thought...i took a wrong turn but ended up where i usually hunt so i said screw it and decided to hunt there again...as i'm standing by the creek wondering what to do i realized that i had to go to the little girls room/tree....it was almost daylight so i freaking out.....as i was pulling my britches up this bird starts hammering about 100yds from me...i couldn't get my britches up fast enough...i grabbed my stuff and started creeping towards him....i got about 40yds away when i heard a hen above me...the gobbler was still gobblin' his brains out so i picked the closest tree i could find...i got set settled and clucked a couple times...realized at that point that there were more than one hen above me...as they were limb hoppin' i just sat there waiting for one to fly down....rNs/jim and i started texting, he reminded me to scratch which was really cool...soon a hen flew down so i decided to do the fly down on my chest too...ouch...lol....about 5 minutes after that i heard the gobbler fly down so i clucked a couple times and did some scratching  :goofball:....within 2-3 minutes of his fly down he was putting 25yds away, TO MY RIGHT...my heart sank...somehow i managed to swing the gun around but he knew something was up so he started heading back to the thick stuff....for some reason he decided to turn back and take a couple steps towards an opening which is all it took...BANG!! :fud:
he dropped!! i was on him in 2.3 seconds, if that....lol...as i was running towards him i had birds flyin' off the roost everywhere, i had no clue that many birds were there.
then the excitement overcame me and i started to gag....which is normal but this time i thought i was going to puke my brains out...i was shaking uncontrollably, gagging my gutts out, tears and snot rolling down my face....i was a sight...too sexy for my camo...lol....it was the best easter moment ever!!
grabbed my bird up and went back to my tree to calm down...made some calls and sent several texts....lol...i told rNs it was a super jake so i could trick him...i love doing that....when i got back to the field and he looks at the spurs and says "are you sure that's a super jake".....lol....i got all girly with excitement and pulled the monster out of my vest....i absolutely love sharing hunting moments like that with him....he gets so proud which puts the biggest smile on my face!!

tnturkeyman28

Big Boys Custom Calls
" I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
Owner of Big Boys Custom Call making Custom Turkey Calls to Order. Mossy Oak Pro Staff The Good lord has Blessed me far more than I deserve. Philippians 4:13

Basser69

Congrats on a great hunt and a nice easter bird!  :you_rock:

bowhunter84

njdevilsb

Beretta686

Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

WyoHunter

Congrats! That's better than an Easter Egg hunt!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Hognutz

Congrats on the nice gobbler. Great story as well..Mike   :fud: :newmascot:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

boomer

JVA54

TRKYHTR

Congrats Flhuntress on a great Easter morning turkey.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Ky strutt n bust n

congrats on a nice bird chick! that is a really great blessing from god. very very nice looking longbeard! ive been hunting 12 of my 19 years alive and 9 years with a gun, and have yet to kill a easter sunday bird. came 30 yards close to one tho, had a thunder storm rolling in one easter morning and we didn't think it was gonna hinder our turkey hunt that morning. well me and my dad had a longbeard on a string at about 8 am. he got within 30 yards and i saw his head pop up above that crittenden county hilltop, and just as ai clicked the safety off, BAM it started to hail. lol. what do you know. me n that birds both reactions were the same. COVER OUR HEADS! he went back down the ridge and i covered up with a turkey seat. well me n my dad headed towards the truck and about 845 am the storm had passed and of coarse the gobbler resumed gobbling and on top of the same hill. needless to say, come the nest weekend that bird saw some 3" #5's :) congrats on such a nice bird!! :anim_65: