OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longbeard 5’s or 6’s

Started by Buckman18, January 20, 2019, 01:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckman18

I patterned my new turkey gun yesterday, a Stevens m301 with a Kicks GT .660.

At 40 yards, I got 180 #5's and 230 #6's in 10 inches. I'm certain both are just fine, but it were you, would you hunt the 5's or the 6's and why?

LaLongbeard

Both should work fine.  I remember when anything over 100 was good. I prefer the 5s because my gun has a better hunting pattern with 5s. The 6s are to tight close up imo
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

LRD

I shot #6's in my 12 gauge and never had any issues.  I have since switched to 20 gauge with TSS.  They both will work, but I would pick the #6's.

Happy

#5's myself. Plenty of pellets at 40 yards and more energy than #6's.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Yoder409

Quote from: Happy on January 20, 2019, 03:43:12 PM
#5's myself. Plenty of pellets at 40 yards and more energy than #6's.

My thoughts, as well.   Yep.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

zelmo1

captpete

I get better numbers with 6's, but a more even pattern with 5's...I shoot 5's.

Bowguy

I'm a 5s guy too for the reasons already mentioned. I no longer use longbeards to so as not to mislead but that's what I used

Gobble!

I'd shoot the #6s. Each have more than enough pattern and energy at 40. Miss judge a bird by 10 yards and each still have the energy but I'd feel better about the extra pattern with the #6s.

zsully

I've used both over the past 3-4 years. I always leaned toward the 6's but the last two birds I've killed were with 5's. Both shells killed birds just as dead. The only real big difference (other than pellet count) I've seen is that 6's seem to be harder to find in my area.

Harty

5's because gun patterns better

renegade19

I've shot both, gun loves both.  I like the 5's but either work great.  I killed a nice bird with a helluva story at a the very maximum of my shooting range last year. He didn't even flop. 

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

kyturkeyhunter4

I like number 6's out of my gun i get a whole lot better patterns with the 6's

Dr Juice