turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NEF Youth 20 ga - Very Suprised

Started by Extremesolo, April 26, 2011, 12:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Extremesolo

I was shooting this gun for my son to use here in PA for the youth hunt and I ran a few shells through it to check how it was shooting.  It is a fixed full choke and I shot hevi #6, hevi #7, and federal HW #7 all in 3".  I shot them at 30 yards just because I wasn't sure what to expect at 40.  The hevi #6 only put a little over 60 in 10" at 30 for some reason.  The hevi #7 put 142 in 10" at 30 and the federals put 187 in 10" at 30.  I was very suprised by the federal numbers.  It was a very tight pattern and the bulk of it was probably inside a 15" circle.  I guess the fixed full really likes the FC wad.  The gun only weight like 5 pounds and has a short little barrel on it.  I was a little skeptical of it with some of the lead loads we shot from it in the past but with the #7's it is a legitimate 40 yard gun.  Any idea what I would get at 40?  I only have 8 federals left so I didn't want to waste another one shooting at paper.  Any idea why the #6 nubers seemed so low?

gophert

I got very similar numbers out of my 870 20 ga with the Federal HW 3" #7's

RSF .570 at 40 yards:  132
RSF .570 at 30 yards: 187

I would think you would be in the upper 120's to mid 130's at 40.  I would not hesitate to shoot at 40 yards.  I hope this helps. 

surehuntsalot

that flightcontrol wad really likes a "fixed" full choke or a standard full choke tube in guns with screw in chokes
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

dawei

Quote from: surehuntsalot on April 26, 2011, 09:48:58 PM
that flightcontrol wad really likes a "fixed" full choke or a standard full choke tube in guns with screw in chokes
That's a fact!

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Extremesolo

I looked at the pattern again and saw 16 holes that I didn't count the first time.  That makes 203 in 10" at 30.  I am still impressed with that from this little gun.

surehuntsalot

you won't go wrong with flightcontrol shells in that gun ;)
it's not the harvest,it's the chase