turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Alps grand slam vest??

Started by 1iagobblergetter, January 18, 2019, 10:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

Might have missed it on here,but anyone purchase or use one these? My vest is about shot and wondering if anyone has any reviews good or bad?

soky

I bought one and although I haven't had the opportunity to use it in a hunting situation I can tell you my thoughts. I threw the kickstand back away, it was entirely too heavy to even entertain the thought of lugging that thing around in the hills of Kentucky. (in hindsight, I probably would've bought the model without the kickstand)  I love that it comes in bottomlands camo. Pockets are ok but if I was a friction call guy I could see them becoming a problem. There's no good way to take strikers that I've found yet. The straps seem kind of weak but ill see how they hold up this year. Those things being said, if I would've paid full price I guess I would be slightly disappointed in the vest. But, if you receive a good enough deal and could modify it some I would say go for it.

ctwny1

Yes I bought this vest. I would recommend this vest in a heart beat to anybody. Very well made and everything on this vest is easy to get
too.

Jrkimbrough

Used one for a season and REALLY liked the vest, quality and layout but just couldn't get over the weight of it (I took off the frame as soon I got it)

Gobble!

Best vest I've ever owned. Had a strap on a seat rip last season. Emailed Alps and they sent me a new seat no questions asked. That's the only issue I've had. Really like the pocket layout and overall quality. 

Only thing I dont like is they use magnets to hold the seat up when not in use. I'm in the process of modifying mine so it has a seat design like the Cabelas Tatr vests.

kennedyh1990

I have been researching them and asking people's opinions of them as well. I've heard nothing but positive reviews and will be purchasing one soon.

GomerPyle

I'm trying to get my hands on one right now too....trying to find a why to try it on first though, because I think I'd be happier with the XL than the standard.

I recently got a Tactical Tat'r 2 pretty cheap, but don't care for the way it fits.  It's the OSFM and while I can adjust the straps out plenty to buckle it, it keeps all the pockets too far around my sides instead of in front where they need to be.  the Alps looks to be a nearly identical design, so hoping with the XL I can adjust the sides out more and adjust the front in, to pull the pockets around front a little more.

here's hoping...
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

strutstopper

I used one all last season. My only complaint is the magnets that hold the cushion up. Overall I really like the vest, even with the kickstand in it.

SD_smith

I like mine. I don't use the stand much unless I am taking more than 1 other person. Out here in NW South Dakota trees can me a little hard to come by with bigger groups. It does increase the weight substantially with the stand in. Like the pockets too, but the striker pocket could be improved. It holds them fine it's just poorly designed for multiple strikers. Overall for the money I've had much worse vests. I'll wear mine out before I shop again so it's not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmf

i bought one and a tactical tatr 2.  unlike others I really liked the kickstand feature of the grandslam and thought that it was well made, I didn't think the weight was all that bad and either way it is removable. I thought that I would prefer it over the cabelas vest until I decided to sit on the floor and watch tv using both. I could only get about 15 minutes out of the alps cushion before getting uncomfortable and could get much much longer out of the cablas so the alps never made it to the woods.  It was just the seat that became uncomfortable fast, the backrest was super comfy.

ezmorningrebel

i went through 3 vests last year and ended up settling on the grand slam.  the alps vests are the best quality that i've put my hands on with the cabelas vests being right there with them.  a lot of the vests i tried on felt like they were meant for someone twice my size (even in the smaller version) and the alps vest fits like a glove.  like a lot of others, i took the kickstand off.  95% of my hunting is in the heavily wooded areas so there's never a shortage of trees to post up against and it cuts a bunch of weight off the vest.  i broke a buckle (my own fault) and alps sent me a free replacement no questions.  the box call pocket fits a thermacell perfectly.  if you use really long 1 piece strikers you may have issues with getting them in the vertical pocket meant for them.  foam padding in the seat is nice and dense and doesn't bottom out like a lot of the other vests (cabelas padding is the best IMO).  one of my biggest grips on the cabelas was that my pot calls would not go in the sleeves but maybe those loosen up overtime.  overall i'm happy with the grand slam and it's going back in the woods with me this year.

sixbird

I bought one after a friend did. When I sat in his, with the backrest, I knew I wanted it.
The seat isn't that comfy for long sits but I modified that so now it's like sitting on a cloud.
The pocket situation is not ideal because the pockets aren't very deep but there are enough of them and you can manage.
The backrest, now that's another story! That backrest is the bomb as far as I'm concerned. Gives you perfect comfort in any situation. I guess it's a little extra weight but I'll carry it in exchange for the comfort. I used it all last year and didn't notice that weight being anything to complain about.
All in all, it's a pretty good vest...All the vests that I've seen have drawbacks...This one has the fewest in my opinion...

ctwny1

I think Alps makes Cabela's vest for them.

NCL

Quote from: sixbird on January 21, 2019, 05:39:58 PM
I bought one after a friend did. When I sat in his, with the backrest, I knew I wanted it.
The seat isn't that comfy for long sits but I modified that so now it's like sitting on a cloud.
The pocket situation is not ideal because the pockets aren't very deep but there are enough of them and you can manage.
The backrest, now that's another story! That backrest is the bomb as far as I'm concerned. Gives you perfect comfort in any situation. I guess it's a little extra weight but I'll carry it in exchange for the comfort. I used it all last year and didn't notice that weight being anything to complain about.
All in all, it's a pretty good vest...All the vests that I've seen have drawbacks...This one has the fewest in my opinion...

Curious, how you modified the seat? I have the same vest and love it, I would agree it can get a but on the heavy side but nothing unmanageable

Jrkimbrough

Quote from: sixbird on January 21, 2019, 05:39:58 PM

Wondering if you could elaborate on what mod you did to the seat cushion?