OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tips for first time trying a bow turkey hunting!

Started by RiverRoost, January 17, 2019, 10:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Two things I wanna say you really need to consider. One is turkey anatomy. More birds are shot but not recovered w a bow than I think should be. It happens just study how to hit the vitals from dif angles.
2nd you need to draw unnoticed. Either when it passes behind a tree,when it's fan blocks it's eyes or from a blind .
The rest imo is pretty similar except a closer range and more challenging sport.
I also wouldn't and don't care about sign. It means nothing, especially in states where you have half day hunts. You don't want to hunt where the birds were but where they are now. With so many factors including hunter pressure, coyotes, foxes, bobcats, etc moving them around I'll also say roosting is the way to go.
Sign is good to locate areas where to look generally maybe not where to set up. Course it could be great there as well. My advise and some guys disagree don't put tracks all over the woods just before season. Long range and audible scouting is best as it disturbs the least imo

fallhnt

See post #3 for shot placement.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Swather

Decoys and a good ground blind will make it a little more feasible.

But I also wonder if you can't make a natural blind between two trees and hunt standing up the whole time.  I believe it is easier to shoot a bow standing up.

A friend of mine got on this kick to kill and Osceola in FL with a bow.  So he went to a lot of trouble and put the guide to the trouble of hauling a ground blind out, setting it up, trimming it with natural vegetation, and setting up a decoy or two in place that had been scouted.  While he sat in the blind, he watched a Florida panther sniff his scent on the trail he had walked in on, and then saw the cat stalk and pounce on his decoys.  It's too bad there was no one there to film it.

Needless to say that after than unnerving experience he was not that keen on the idea of hunting the FL woods, and certainly no keen on being among the panthers without a shotgun.

Ctrize

Run through your set up, stool, blind bow and do some dry runs before you go to the fiekd.I set my Jake at 10 and my hen at my furthest range. Good Luck :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

Mossyguy

I've only hunted once with a bow and I was fortunate enough to take one. I was on public land and the spot I was in was only open for bow hunting that day. I mainly went to scout for a future gun hunt but it just worked out for me. It was my first multi-bearded bird and one of my most memorable hunts.

I used a Primos stake blind and a lone hen decoy. You don't need a fully enclosed blind..since I was on public land the stake blind was easier for me to carry and I could set it up in no time. I set the decoy up at 15 yards. I just happened to catch him strutting away from me and was able to draw and make the shot. It's tough but it can be done!