turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First NJ Gobbler of 2011

Started by salt-hay, April 26, 2011, 11:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

salt-hay

I wanted  to relay the adventure of this mornings hunt. Our season started yesterday and the weather has been unusually warm, but clear. The day started off with me entering the woods to a litany of gobbling. One of those rare days when you aren't sure which bird to target.  I decided to set up near where I had seen the bruiser Tom earlier in the year and got to within 60 yards of the roost tree.

There was a large congregation of gobblers on and adjacent property and everytime those 3 would gobble the bird nearest to me would hammer right back. This went on for 45 minutes! As it neared time for flydown I gave a few soft tree yelps and one cluck, the gobbler answered back before the last cluck was done.  At this point I am thinking it is a done deal.  I jinxed myself for even thinking it!    The gobbler flys down and hits the ground at 50 yards, but instead of heading my way he is  mad and going to lay into the other gobblers on the adjacent property.  I can only watch him dissapear down the logging road and out of sight.

I decide to move and hunt a field about a quarter mile away that usually has good action in early morning.  I sat on this field watching some hens  until the owner came by walking his dogs. We chatted for awile and he told me he had been seeing a big tom in this spot, but that he has not shown up for the past few days  ( because he's down the road at the spot I just left ! LOL!) I decided nothing was hapenning here, so I headed for home.  

Just for the heck of it I detoured back to my original set up, albeit 3 hours later.  I let out some loud yelps and cuts and about 4 gobblers answered back  far away. I set up the decoy and decided to sit for awhile and at least listen to the sweet gobbler music even if I didn't kill one. Every 10 minutes or so I'd yelp, they would gobble, and that was it. Never moved and never advanced in my direction.  So just before I was going to head home I set up with a box call in hand  and diapragm in my mouth. I wanted to make as much hen noise to try and convince them my party was better! LOL!............It seemed to do the trick, the next bunch of Gobbles were noticeable closer and they were moving my way!

At this point I cut the calling way back and wanted to make them work to find me.  I purred and softly clucked. 10 minutes later I could hear the leaves crunching.  The I saw two big Blue and White heads coming through the undergrowth at 30 yards. When one head gave me a shot I took it. The load of #4 copper plated lead rolled the gobbler while the other continued to gobble in my face!    It was an enjoyable hunt and the best part for me was I killed the bird over my own carved decoy and call. The gobbler was 21 pounds, 1 1/8" spurs" 11" beard.  Jode

bowhunter84

mnturkey

Great story, and a real good looking decoy and call, you should be doubly proud of the bird.
That is a great looking decoy.
SEMPER FI

Hognutz

Congrats on the gobbler. Nice story, great pictures..Well done, Jode..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

njdevilsb

Congrats on a nice bird.  Getting it done with your own call and decoy is even cooler.

Basser69

Nice bird, great looking decoy and call. Thanks for sharing and congrats! :you_rock:

salt-hay

Thanks for the comments fella's. Carving and working on the calls gives me a way to spread the interest of the season throughout the year.  It's fun to try out new idea's and feels good when they work out.

I had a few folks ask about decoy specifics.  It is hollow carved out of white cedar and painted with oil paint. Only weighs about 3 pounds. I purchased a decoy bag from Tom Ackley(customgunsocks.com)  that makes carrying it a breeze..................

WyoHunter

Congrats! Beautiful bird, nice pics and a nice job on the decoy!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

boomer

barry

Great hunt! Sweet Decoy & call!

JVA54

flhuntress

Ky strutt n bust n

cannonball

lmbhngr