turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which 870 Barrel length 21 or 26

Started by lowcountry, January 14, 2019, 06:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowcountry

About to purchase an 870.  21" or 26" barrel is the question.

Pros and cons of each?

mrclif

Mine came with 26 and I purchased a 20" Remington spt barrel off Ebay. 26" defeated the purpose of a compact shotgun I was trying to achieve. The 26" required less constriction to obtain and more dense core on paper. For instance the .555 in the 26 was crazy tight at 40 but opened up nicely in the 20".

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Brwndg

:anim_25:I bought a 12 gauge 11-87 Special Purpose back in 1985 w a 26" barrel. After a few seasons I bought an after market 21" rifle sighted barrel. Never happier.

As a matter of fact I loved my 21" barrel on my 12 gauge 11-87 that I bought a 21" 20 gauge 11-87.
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

sswv

I have 3 Remington turkey guns and all have a 21" barrels. I would not change for nothing.

lowcountry

Would you go with the 21" just for the ease of having a smaller gun....easier to tote in the woods?

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

davisd9

I shoot 26" on my 11-87 and 500, but would be ok with 21".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

nyhunter

I have both, my 21" patterns every bit as good as the 26" so for me it's the 21". I love the short light compact little 20ga.

SteelerFan

Turkey only? - 21. Carries & points great

Combo turkey & wing shooting? (dove, duck, etc) definitely 26

lowcountry

Quote from: SteelerFan on January 16, 2019, 07:15:09 PM
Turkey only? - 21. Carries & points great

Combo turkey & wing shooting? (dove, duck, etc) definitely 26

Turkey only.  I'm going to go with the 21".

Thanks for everyone's input.

Dr Juice

Greg Massey

Jbird22

dirt road ninja

fountain2

I've had both.  I was in a stupid spot a few years back and was chasing numbers.   I went to a 26" bbl from a 21.  I ended up with a little more consistency on patterns and mayne a little higher 10 count.  I honestly wish I had a short bbl now.

Anyone looking for a 26, I'll swap