OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bigyank gettin it done in O...H...I...O!!!

Started by bigyank, April 26, 2011, 09:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigyank

Well, started the morning off on 3.5 hours of sleep. I started working 2nd shift for turkey season so I could hunt more in the morning. At 5:30 a.m., I made the mile long hike to a ridge top that I have seen birds on this past Fall, as well as having a 35 yd. encounter with a chunk bird last Thursday (10 min. of drummin/struttin on a log).

This bird fired up first and at the time was the only one I'd heard. It was still plenty dark, so I pushed my luck to get as close as I could. I ended up setting up about 300-400 yds. away. I made a few aggressive calls with my Hook's Custom Devastator and he was more than willing to play! As he gobbled, another bird around 300 yds. behind me sounded off. Then, after that, he got silent for a few minutes. Little did I realize he was bee-lining to my position.

As usual, I got nervous when I didn't hear him for a bit. So, with a few soft yelps on the glass, he was about 70-80 yds. away. Instantly, I saw him coming through the haze. Then all of the sudden, as he gobbled, he wasn't alone.  Apparently, his buddy wanted some of the action and was right behind him. I got ready as he was moving in quick! Without even stopping him, the 870 with 2oz. Hevi-Shot put him down.

All in all, it was one of those mornings where everything happened perfectly and like they should. By 6:30 a.m., I had my hands on him and was headed back to the house!  

Time for tag #2!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Basser69

Congrats on a nice bird! Thanks for sharing!  :you_rock:

Hognutz

Very nice gobbler. Congrats on the quick hunt. That is always a bonus..Go get number two.  :you_rock:Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

bowhunter84

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Reloader

Congrats.  Always nice to find some sheds while out.  I found some nice ones last year, but only dinks this season.

Solid Snake

Congrats man! Indiana starts tomorrow but we are supposed to get some heavy rain (go figure) so I'm playing it by ear. Took the day off so we will see!

flintlock

If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

njdevilsb

Sounds like a great hunt.  Congrats on a good bird.

I have been hunting for about 13 years, and I have never found a shed antler.  

Saylfish

IAFF 1377

Eric

Big Yank is the man. Good one Jason.  Congrats.
Osceola Country

Spring_Woods

"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

speckslayer

JVA54

cannonball