turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

my season is finally over!!!

Started by dixiedeerslaya, April 26, 2011, 09:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dixiedeerslaya

this started one morning last week.  went to a little piece of land that i hadnt set foot on all year.  heard two birds on the roost. i was in the middle. i figured it would be over shortly.  both birds flew down, and went in opposite directions. dang it.  fast forward to yesterday morning.  i get in early, get set up, almost left before it got dark cuz of all the skeeters... seems like it took an hour for my thermacell to go to work. this time both birds were together, but across a creek and on the neighboring property.  they flew down, and again went the other way. i had planed to stay on them everyday this week until either i got one or the season ran out... last night i got a call from a buddy, and while talking i invited him to tag along this morning.  i told him it was no sure thing, they had  me that morning but they were gobbling good and if they roosted on our side of the creek we would have a good chance.  well we get in there this morning.  the skeeters were worse but this time i turned on my thermacell when i got out of the truck so it would be warming up as we walked in.  got down in there close to where i was hoping they were roosted. sat down.  birds didnt gobble till a good bit later than they had the other two hunts.  finally they sounded off and both were together, but on the other side of the creek again and even farther away than monday morning.  i figured we had nothing to loose so we cut the distance in half calling as we went.  they cut off everything i threw at them.  we get to about 100 yards, as far as we could go because of the creek and the property line.  once we sat down i went to calling, they seemed to like it so i tried to fire them up as much as i could.  then they went silent.  aww hell.... we waited a few minutes and i hit the call hard again. he hammered back, but had cut the distance to about 60 yards.  i could tell he was on the other side of the little creek/swamp thing and i knew it was about to get good as long as they didnt hang up.  we got ready and within 3 minutes one pitched across the creek and lands about 30 yards infront of us.  i told my buddy to wait for the other to cross, and lets make sure they arent jakes (i couldnt see a beard on the first one)... here comes the other one, his feet hit the ground and they start coming straight for us. im shaking like a leaf. they are now at about 20 yards and neither will give us a shot at the same time.  finally at 15 yards i figure if we shoot one, we should atleast get a shot at the other one if he starts to run. i had a clear shot on the first one so i folded him up, the other ducks behind a tree and when he pops out the other side my buddy folds him up.  hell yea!!! two dead birds. his second of the season and my 5th.

my bird as 18.6lbs, had 1 inch spurs and a 10.25 inch beard.
his was 15.3lbs and a 1 inch spur and a nub, and a 10 inch beard.

its bitter sweet, but damn its been a hell of a season.  first time i killed two in the first week, first time i limited out, and the first time i have been on a double kill.  im looking forward to actually getting a full nights sleep again... good luck to all that still have tags!

my bird...

buddies bird...

death...

BOFF

WOOHOO!!!

Love the one sput bird, just because he's unusual!!

Know what you mean about the mosquitoes. I've about left a couple of times, when the thermocell wouldn't work.

Congrats to you both!!!!!

God Bless,
David B.

Hognutz

Congrats on the double. That's about as good as it gets. Well done, Boys..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

bowhunter84

Basser69

Congrats on a great hunt and nice double!  :z-guntootsmiley:

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

njdevilsb

Congrats on the double and a very good season.

boomer

BigGobbler

Them skeeters must been bad BOFF  if the thermo did not work.I have seen it in north florida like that but the thermo worked.

JVA54

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase