OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NC Bird down!

Started by PureGold, April 26, 2011, 07:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PureGold

My Brother In-law and I got permission to hunt a piece of property that is full of birds. This property hugs the Tar River for what seems like miles. The birds love to roost all along the river so we had a good starting point. We walked in a good 3/4 of a mile until we came to a small clearing. I grabbed my Palmer's hoot tube and gave it a whirl. 4 birds gobbled, one in each direction. We had two that were close and two that we felt were borderline(possibly on the other side of the river). We set up there for a while with no luck. Once the birds stopped gobbling, we decided to talk a walk. We walked the edge of the river for about 600yards stopping to make a call every 150yards or so. Nothing! We finally made it to a spot where they had thinned out some pines and there was a logging road that worked its way back into the timber. It looked like a great spot but after yelping a few times we were starting to wonder. I grabbed my Halloran Short box and decided to throw a gobble in that direction and before I could finish I was cut of! The bird was about 250yards away. We talked for a minute to try to come up with a plan and I hit the box with a few quick yelps followed by a gobble and again that got him going. So...We set up off the logging path and decided to work the bird from there. Once sat down I grabbed my crystal mistress and worked that call for while and the bird respond almost everytime. He had worked into about 75yards when he let out a thundering gobble and we knew it was all about to unfold. I had my brother in-law get around a little more to his left because I had a good feeling where that bird was going to be coming in at. I saw the bird at about 50yards and readied my brother. The bird came in perfect and when he poked his red and blue head out between the two pines in front of us I told my brother to go ahead a take him. I don't think I even finished the statement! Nothing in my book compares to the feeling of hunting turkey's. Until today...The feeling you get watching someone else shoot a bird that you have called in for them may just top the list! Thanks for reading!

PG

[attachment deleted by admin]

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

bowhunter84

Hognutz

Congrats on the bird. Calling a bird in for someone else is as exhilarating as killing one, for me. Knowing that your actions caused this bird to approach your set up, thinking that a hen was waiting for him, is reward enough for me. To call a bird in for a friend, and be an integral part of the kill, is as good as pulling the trigger... Well done..Mike  :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Basser69

PureGold

Thanks Mike! There is no other feeling like it!

Wrangler95

:anim_65:

Very nice going,congrats!!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

cannonball

JVA54

:icon_thumright:  Congrats!!

Trip

Awesome!!! Congratulations!

GAbird

Nice! Running water source (big creek or river) = prime time turkey territory

pcgobbler

good one!  congrats!!