OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Quiet Boots

Started by Hootin-N-Hammer, January 07, 2019, 06:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hootin-N-Hammer

Since season is right around the corner I started to go over last years mistakes and stuff I learned. One thing that really bothered me last year was how loud my boots were. I got them two years ago because they are waterproof and snake proof but they are the loudest dang boots I've ever owned and I'm pretty sure it cost me 2 birds that I tried to sneak up on (at least that what I'm blaming it on). Maybe I'm just over thinking it but I think it's time for a new pair. Anyone have a recommendation on a quiet pair of waterproof boots?

Thanks!

ARjtk

Lacrosse grange....tried and true. Don't worry about those serpents

Deputy 14

Like said above, a good pair of rubber or neoprene boots and just watch where you step.

dejake

Ranger

Yeah I think the phrase "sneak up on" has more to do with last years shortcomings than those loud, noisy boots
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Gobble!

Quote from: ARjtk on January 07, 2019, 07:34:49 PM

100%. Put a pile of miles on my grange boots last year and very happy with their performance.

Brwndg

I have pair of Muck Woody Sport that I really love.  Waterproof and they fit great. I also wear some Danner Pronghorns when chasing mountain birds and not worried about crossing creeks or swampy areas.  They fit like sneakers!
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

SKFOOTER

Quote from: Gobble! on January 08, 2019, 07:28:27 AM
Quote from: ARjtk on January 07, 2019, 07:34:49 PM

100%. Put a pile of miles on my grange boots last year and very happy with their performance.
The main problem with rubber boots is foot sweating.

LaLongbeard

I wear leather 9" Irish setter  boots everyday work or around the house and hunting. There water proof 100% when oiled  periodically.And I would hate to see the set of snake fangs it would take to  penetrate the leather.  There light and I've walked untold miles in them. There a lot like the Russell's Moccasins in style. I had a pair of the Russell's which costs 4 times as much and were not as comfortable imo. The soles are fairly soft and make for quiet walking, but really any boot is quiet if your slow and deliberate. Even if you go barefoot stomping around is going to make noise.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

PALongspur

Quote from: Phillipshunt on January 10, 2019, 06:51:39 PM
I wear leather 9" Irish setter  boots everyday work or around the house and hunting. There water proof 100% when oiled  periodically.And I would hate to see the set of snake fangs it would take to  penetrate the leather.  There light and I've walked untold miles in them. There a lot like the Russell's Moccasins in style. I had a pair of the Russell's which costs 4 times as much and were not as comfortable imo. The soles are fairly soft and make for quiet walking, but really any boot is quiet if your slow and deliberate. Even if you go barefoot stomping around is going to make noise.

Are those Wingshooters? If so, how do the soles do on steep terrain? Been considering a pair of them for this year.

Thanks

Gooserbat

Muck Woody sports and a pair of $79 Cabela's hikers.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

zsully

I love my Danner Probghorns but like another poster said I only use them when I know I won't be sneaking through a swamp. If I am going into the swamp I use a set of Lacrosse Alpha Burly. Nothing fancy but they have just have never failed me.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: PALongspur on January 13, 2019, 10:27:56 AM
Quote from: Phillipshunt on January 10, 2019, 06:51:39 PM

Are those Wingshooters? If so, how do the soles do on steep terrain? Been considering a pair of them for this year.

Thanks
Soles work fine in all the terrain I've hunted, including some rough steep terrain in Kentucky.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

BTH

Danner jackal. Quiet and comfy once broken in. I dont wade through shin deep water but occasional creek crossing or in and out of puddles and wet high grass very waterproof going on several years.

Wet areas and swamp birds .....lacrosse knee high green lagrange.
Phil 4:13

nyhunter

This is a tough question, what makes them "loud" is the actual boot or you? I have a pair of hunting boots that every time I bend mt toes as I walk the squeak, It drives me nuts. So there no longer hunting boots.