turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Huntin shows sure are........

Started by HogBiologist, April 25, 2011, 09:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBiologist

Showing alot of people taking shots that are wayyyyyyy too far.  I have seen 3 or 4 in the lasty week or two.  I just saw one where the guy and I guess his daughter were sitting with 2 gobblers at the decoy.  They started to walk away.  It was not until the birds were on the other side of the plot before he said shoot.  The kid shot the bird.  You could see the pattern hit the bird and send feathers flying.  The bird jumped and ran off.  He was ticked off.  These shows are getting horrible.  I bet these "pro" hunters dont even pattern a gun.  I bet they have no Idea their guns ethical range.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Ol'Mossy

30_06

I haven't watched in a while, but back in the day when I did it always seemed like every hunt was a perfect hunt. Hit the call, hear a gobbler, hit the call, turkey comes in on a string, lots of whispering a little fidgeting, and the shot.

Needless to say I dont watch anymore.

Hognutz

Same with me. I used to be glued to the set when a show was on. Now, there are only a small handfull that I will even consider watching, once I determine that it is not a rerun from 2002 or so. There are an awful lot of reruns on those channels..It is to the point that I don't go out of my way to watch anything on the so called ''Sportsman Channels''....Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

furtracker

Quote from: 30_06 on April 25, 2011, 09:41:03 PM
it always seemed like every hunt was a perfect hunt. Hit the call, hear a gobbler, hit the call, turkey comes in on a string, lots of whispering a little fidgeting, and the shot.
Some shows seem a little to perfect.

longbeardlife.com

I know what you mean... I did four shows with a come company and kinda got burnt out after all the filming and encounters that couldnt be used due to not being a perfect finish in the cameras eye. There are some shows that still show the hunts as they really happen, but most shows dont really show how a hunt really unfolds in the eyes of us hunters!!!!But if the shows will get more kids in the outdoors Im all for it..  Good Hunting....

Mailman

Talked with my taxidermist. He actually raises deer to get big racks. They are then sold to tv shows so they can shoot them. He said they drug the deer for during shipping. he said he can tell you every time its a high fence show. he said some times the deer are still under the influence of the drug. He said they are all just standing their looking around, that they dont know where they are. He only does this for the money. And sounds like he makes a lot on it.
One Shot One Kill

neal

I know a deer farmer personally up North here and he has crews come in often in the fall and hunt and when on camera they are suppose to say they are in Buffalo county WI. Joke! I have so many stories of outfitters I know personally that have told me the outcome on the show was set up never happened and these are shows I know everyone here has seen. Give me Eastmans hunting  or Cuz Strickland any day of the week.
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Crappiepro

I dont watch them like I used to either. Its all about sales and promoting some new camo or tool. They say very little about the how too's and give very little info, its all just shootin something for the perfect T.V. show.

Solid Snake

Quote from: LaBiologist on April 25, 2011, 09:15:11 PM
Showing alot of people taking shots that are wayyyyyyy too far.  I have seen 3 or 4 in the lasty week or two.  I just saw one where the guy and I guess his daughter were sitting with 2 gobblers at the decoy.  They started to walk away.  It was not until the birds were on the other side of the plot before he said shoot.  The kid shot the bird.  You could see the pattern hit the bird and send feathers flying.  The bird jumped and ran off.  He was ticked off.  These shows are getting horrible.  I bet these "pro" hunters dont even pattern a gun.  I bet they have no Idea their guns ethical range.

I watched this same show last night!! It was Obsession Revealed and the episode was called girls and gobblers. Two toms were next to the decoy and were far enough apart to shoot but he was holding off to get good video footage. Then when they started to walk off and were just starting to enter the woods he was saying "shoot, shoot!" I was saying to myself did he really just tell her to take that shot!?!

He was really mad too - throwing his mouth call and yelling at himself. Sad thing was he had them in range and could have made the girls day by getting her a bird but he wanted to see them peck at his decoy.

Scottyb

While I have to agree hunting shows can be a little perfect, and it seems like they wait too long to shoot, birds do appear much farther than they are on camera. I have learned this while filming waterfowl hunts this past fall, birds were in the decoys, no more than 25 yards away and looked like sky bust shots....

I didnt see this show though, and I dont really enjoy TV hunting shows all that much...
Mossy Oak Pro Staff...

bird

I haven't watched a hunting or fishing show in years.  They do not interest me one bit what so ever as most are boring, unethical, fake or too commercialized to hold my interest for more than a few seconds.

HogBiologist

Quote from: Shaw24 on April 26, 2011, 09:42:48 AM
I watched this same show last night!! It was Obsession Revealed and the episode was called girls and gobblers. Two toms were next to the decoy and were far enough apart to shoot but he was holding off to get good video footage. Then when they started to walk off and were just starting to enter the woods he was saying "shoot, shoot!" I was saying to myself did he really just tell her to take that shot!?!

He was really mad too - throwing his mouth call and yelling at himself. Sad thing was he had them in range and could have made the girls day by getting her a bird but he wanted to see them peck at his decoy.

That would be the one. 
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Reloader

I had the oppotunity to be filmed on a deer hunt and while I sort of knew that it was a "show" for entertainment before hand, it was an eye opener after that experience.

While most of the kill scenes are actual footage, the rest of the show is purely Hollywood BS.  For starters, they usually have only one camera, yet when you watch the show it seems like there may be 3-4 from different angles.  The camera guy sits with you and stays reasonably quiet.  He'll film the animals as they approach and up to the point where he says "Take him" when the camera has enough footage of the animal and the animal is posed right for the camera at the shot.  Then the filming begins, after the kill.  They get in different spots and ask you to talk about calls and make up things about the animal approaching yada yada. They'll get in different positions and make it look like you are shooting, rattling, calling, glassing, etc.  Then they'll film a few takes approaching the animal etc.  After it's done, they review the footage and if any of it is not acceptable, they'll go back out in the field(sometimes on a different day) and film again.  That's why the guys are always moving around, talking loud, etc etc.  It is actually a true acct of the kill shot itself and the animal approaching, but all that other garbage is done after the fact and compiled to a short "perfect" version.

In their defense, they do work at it and they do stay in the field for countless hours for footage that's never used.  They have to provide quality entertainment to fill their bank accts plain and simple.

I spoke to one of the stars once at an event and he told me it was a full time 24-7-365 job to produce quality shows.  I can see that.

Some of the shows are canned hunts, but alot of them are not even though the hunts seem perfect.  They may wrap up 2 weeks of hard effort into 10mins of the show.

A good friend of mine is an Alligator Outfitter here in La and he deals with all the BS of filming shows when they come in.  He's told me some pretty funny stories on the after the kill filming.

Reloader

WyoHunter

I enjoy some of them but I wish some of them would on public ground where I hunt. There isn't a turkey behind every bush!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!