OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Drake waders

Started by BobWalters, November 01, 2018, 04:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobWalters

Taking a chance there might be a few waterfowlers lurking here, but I have some gift cards saved up and thought I would get myself some drake waders. Never worn drake waders before so idk what's better and what to go with. Looking at the Neoprene 2.0 Chest Wader and the Guardian Elite Insulated Breathable Chest Wader. Any opinions on which is better and would be longer lasting and tougher? $100 difference in them with the neoprene being the cheaper ones.

HookedonHooks

I have a couple buddies that bought the new breathable this year, and for teal season they loved them. They have yet to face the extreme cold in them, so that's still in question, but other than that they didn't have any problems with leaking and said they didn't get the sticky sweatiness neoprene always gives.

I still have a new from last season, pair of Lacrosse Swamp Tough neoprene waders that are definitely extremely comfortable and extremely warm. Hopefully it isn't anytime soon I'm buying a new pair of waders, but when that time comes, I will probably be switching to the breathable from the opinions of some of my buddies I've been hunting with.

BobWalters

Quote from: HookedonHooks on November 01, 2018, 04:26:58 PM
I have a couple buddies that bought the new breathable this year, and for teal season they loved them. They have yet to face the extreme cold in them, so that's still in question, but other than that they didn't have any problems with leaking and said they didn't get the sticky sweatiness neoprene always gives.

I still have a new from last season, pair of Lacrosse Swamp Tough neoprene waders that are definitely extremely comfortable and extremely warm. Hopefully it isn't anytime soon I'm buying a new pair of waders, but when that time comes, I will probably be switching to the breathable from the opinions of some of my buddies I've been hunting with.

So to make sure I follow, chances are the guardian elites will be better if a person was doing a lot of walking to hunting locations because they breath? I've never owned a full blown pair of waders before so idk what even the differences are between neoprene and whatever the guardian elites are.

HookedonHooks

If you're doing a lot of walking I would say it would possibly be worth the iextra nvestment up front. Getting sweaty in waders is the fastest way to get cold once you sit down.

BobWalters

Quote from: HookedonHooks on November 01, 2018, 06:22:36 PM
If you're doing a lot of walking I would say it would possibly be worth the iextra nvestment up front. Getting sweaty in waders is the fastest way to get cold once you sit down.

I may just go ahead with the breathable ones. Now do I want the insulated pair or do I want the uninsulated pair and then layer when I need to

Rapscallion Vermilion

Another vote for the breathables.  I wear wader pants underneath for colder hunts.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: BobWalters on November 01, 2018, 07:04:37 PM

I may just go ahead with the breathable ones. Now do I want the insulated pair or do I want the uninsulated pair and then layer when I need to

I would go insulated and get your appropriate size just so you won't have to size up just so you can double/triple layer in the extreme cold.

BobWalters

Quote from: HookedonHooks on November 01, 2018, 10:16:07 PM
Quote from: BobWalters on November 01, 2018, 07:04:37 PM

I would go insulated and get your appropriate size just so you won't have to size up just so you can double/triple layer in the extreme cold.

Thankfully my local store has them in stock I may go try them on tomorrow and just see how warm they really are and make sure they aren't to warm. I'd like the flexibility to use them November-February. So think mid 50ish degrees to 0 degrees.

BobWalters

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on November 01, 2018, 09:26:51 PM
Another vote for the breathables.  I wear wader pants underneath for colder hunts.

You wear insulated breathables?

NCL

I do not waterfowl hunt but I do winter steelhead fishing. I have both neoprene and breathable waders. If you do any amount of walking the breathable seem warmer with a layering approach. The neoprene are warm but if you walk you sweat inside that hen turn cold while wading or standing still.   

bobk

Breathable waders with insulated boots for winter steelhead and duck hunting work fine with heavy fleece wader pants until just before ice up. Then I switch to boot foot neoprene. This works for me.

hootgobbleyelpgobble

I have not had good luck with Drake gear lately. Haven't been the wader route with them but plenty of buddies have. Haven't seen a pair of their waders really last yet.

I am a fan of Cabela's waders. Have a pair of both neoprene and breathables. Usually wear the breathables unless I am standing in deep cold water like a swamp wood duck hunt. In the cold with breathables, I have with layers I can stay plenty comfortable most of the time.

BobWalters

Quote from: hootgobbleyelpgobble on November 02, 2018, 01:54:40 PM
I have not had good luck with Drake gear lately. Haven't been the wader route with them but plenty of buddies have. Haven't seen a pair of their waders really last yet.

I am a fan of Cabela's waders. Have a pair of both neoprene and breathables. Usually wear the breathables unless I am standing in deep cold water like a swamp wood duck hunt. In the cold with breathables, I have with layers I can stay plenty comfortable most of the time.

What drake gear have you had bad luck with? I just got a pair of lst 2.0 bibs and the guardian flex full zip eqwader wading jacket. Nervous now

Old Gobbler

I am a sworn LaCrosse customer ...I dont like neoprene nor breathable...I lirk Ebay and buy the oldschool canvas NOS

They last forever

With that said im leery of these high dollar breathable waders
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

HookedonHooks

Quote from: Old Gobbler on November 02, 2018, 07:25:18 PM
I am a sworn LaCrosse customer

When it comes to customer service from a wader company they are unmatched.

If you can afford LaCrosse over Drake I too would recommend this all the way whether you decide to go the breathable route or not.