OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tagged out in VA!

Started by trkehunr93, April 25, 2011, 02:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkehunr93

This past Saturday was my final day behind the gun here in VA.  Fooled with this bird for an hour only to have him come in silent and catch me off guard, walk off without me able to get a shot then walk about 80 yrds. in front of me out of sight and gobble his fool head off!  Well I decided that I was tired of listening to him gobble so since he would not come back to me I decided to go to him and put the sneak on him!  I was able to get within 30 yrds. thanks to some very large oaks and wet leaves and I watched him strut and gobble for 10-15 minutes, I never could get around the tree i was behind because he kept popping in and out of sight and I was afraid of spooking him so I just waited him out and when he finally moved to my left and when he took a couple of steps out from the trees he was behind I shot!  I must have been looking over the barrel when I shot because he took off flying to my right so I pumped in another shell and led him as best i could and shot again.  I thought I missed him clean both times because he kept flying off to my right out of sight.  With my head hanging low I went back to get my calls and decided to call it a morning and head home for some coffee.  About 50 yrds. behind my first set up is a powerline that I had to cross to get out and when i step out into it I stopped and there on the otherside in front of me is this turkey piled up, the 2nd shot must have connected and he just locked his wings and crash landed.  Needless to say I knelt down after that and thanked the Lord for leading me to him because I wrote it off as two wasted shots!  Talk about a rollercoaster of emotions, I went from down in the dumps to King of the Hill in less than 5 minutes.  Definitely a crazy ending to a great 2011 season.

19lbs., 10 3/16" beard, and 1.25" spurs

Gobble!

Basser69

njdevilsb

That's a good bird.  Congrats.

bowhunter84

Hognutz

Congrats on a very nice gobbler.. :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Wrangler95

:z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

Very nice going,congrats!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

cannonball

Trip

JVA54

Roost Wrecker

turkey slayer

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

wvboy

Congrats.. I tagged out on 4/19 in VA .. hope to make it to WV soon..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

barry