turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Boot suggestions.

Started by kytrkyhntr, September 27, 2018, 05:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kytrkyhntr

Anyone have a suggestion for a cold weather boot? Just need a solid good boot for cold weather deer hunting. I won't be in -40 degree but I don't wanna be cold. I'm leaning towards artic pro muck boots. Does anyone have a better suggestion?
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

treein dixie

Same here but I need a hot weather boot!

Chris O

Quote from: kytrkyhntr on September 27, 2018, 05:10:53 PM
Anyone have a suggestion for a cold weather boot? Just need a solid good boot for cold weather deer hunting. I won't be in -40 degree but I don't wanna be cold. I'm leaning towards artic pro muck boots. Does anyone have a better suggestion?
It kind of depends on where you hunt. If crossing a lot of water ways a good rubber boot would be nice .If walking All day a nice Rocky lace up boot would be better for me. I try to stay away from Muck boots after they supported a animal rights group and I have had great luck with Lacrosse, Rocky , Danner and even some of the Bass Pro Redhead gortex  boots. I am sure Muck boots are good but I won't support them.

kytrkyhntr

Yeah just looking for a cold weather boot. I won't be walking 10 miles but I want comfort. I don't really care about that other stuff. I buy what I can afford that works for me. If I didn't buy from every company I dissagreed with I would own nothing ha ha

Sir-diealot

I have a nice pair of Rockies 1000 or 1200 Thinsulate and waterproof. I have had frostbite on my left and right foot but the left was much worse, I have not had any other boot keep my foot warm and still be comfortable but these are both. I will get you the model of them later, I have to dig the box out. They were 135 if I remember right before tax.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Sorry I they are Wolverines, not Rockies.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

daddyduke

Always had good good luck with Wolverine boots. Work or hunting.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

captpete

Personally I stay away from rubber/neoprene boots when it gets cold. The are great for keeping water out, but they also do a great job at keeping moisture in. You need to get rid of the moisture from inside boots.

Another option is to wear a pair of medium weight insulated boots(600-800gr) and boot blankets...Artic Shield is one brand. When you get to your stand put on the boot blankets. They will let your feet breath and still hold in the heat. You can also take you boots off and wear the blankets by themself with a hand warmer packet or two in each one.

Socks are just about as important as the boots themself...I still haven't figured out the right sock combination.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: captpete on October 05, 2018, 06:34:08 AM
Personally I stay away from rubber/neoprene boots when it gets cold. The are great for keeping water out, but they also do a great job at keeping moisture in. You need to get rid of the moisture from inside boots.

Another option is to wear a pair of medium weight insulated boots(600-800gr) and boot blankets...Artic Shield is one brand. When you get to your stand put on the boot blankets. They will let your feet breath and still hold in the heat. You can also take you boots off and wear the blankets by themself with a hand warmer packet or two in each one.

Socks are just about as important as the boots themself...I still haven't figured out the right sock combination.

My girlfriend picked up a pair each of these last year and they have been great. Even in the boots when out coyote hunting when I am driving the truck with windows down looking for tracks my feet would start to get cold but with these they did not even start to get a little cold until the end of the day. We normally don't have the heater on in the van to start because he is dressed for walking through fields and all and does not want to over heat and these socks did make a noticeable difference. They are thick, so make sure you figure that in when choosing a boot. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Men-s-Thermal-Insulated-Boot-Socks/47095580

John Koenig:

captpete

Thanks for the info. In temps around 15* and colder my issue is my feet sweat when I'm walking to the stand. Then an hour or so later my toes are cold...after about 3 hours I'm done. The boot blankets seem to work best for me. My feet still get cold, but not "make me leave" cold. I have carried my heavy boots & socks in with me and put them on before climbing into the stand. It works, but it's a pain in the butt!

NCL

Quote from: captpete on October 07, 2018, 09:23:58 AM
Thanks for the info. In temps around 15* and colder my issue is my feet sweat when I'm walking to the stand. Then an hour or so later my toes are cold...after about 3 hours I'm done. The boot blankets seem to work best for me. My feet still get cold, but not "make me leave" cold. I have carried my heavy boots & socks in with me and put them on before climbing into the stand. It works, but it's a pain in the butt!

Have you ever tried socks liners? The sock liners wick the sweat away from your skin and your feet stay warmer. I use the sock liners in my waders and I find my feet usually do not get cold.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: NCL on October 08, 2018, 10:14:52 AM

Have you ever tried socks liners? The sock liners wick the sweat away from your skin and your feet stay warmer. I use the sock liners in my waders and I find my feet usually do not get cold.
Are they expensive?

John Koenig:

kytrkyhntr

Sir die a lot- thank you I will look at those wolverines. Thanks for all the info guys

Sir-diealot

Quote from: kytrkyhntr on October 09, 2018, 12:08:23 AM
Sir die a lot- thank you I will look at those wolverines. Thanks for all the info guys
You're quite welcome.

John Koenig:

captpete

Quote from: NCL on October 08, 2018, 10:14:52 AM

Yes, I wear them and they don't really seem to help. I get the same result if I wear a pair of cotton socks. I tried lots of different types and combinations of socks. I have found that I have the best luck by putting on my heavy socks just before I put on my boots...I wear liner socks and shoes for the drive to my hunting spot. If I wear my heavy socks for the drive, my feet get cold very easy.