turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Off topic music question

Started by Sir-diealot, September 20, 2018, 06:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobk

When I was a kid, I remember  listening to Flatt and Scruggs with my dad. They were amazing musicians.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: blake_08 on September 28, 2018, 05:56:05 PM
i always loved the Andy Griffith episodes with The Darlings on the show. They're real band name is The Dillards and they have some good songs.
I don't remember them being on there but it has been a long while since I have really watched the show.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: bobk on September 28, 2018, 06:53:35 PM
When I was a kid, I remember  listening to Flatt and Scruggs with my dad. They were amazing musicians.
I like them as well, have a CD with some of there hits on it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

bobk

The Darling were fairly regular quests on the Andy Griffith show. They are a very good band.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: bobk on September 28, 2018, 07:53:52 PM
The Darling were fairly regular quests on the Andy Griffith show. They are a very good band.
Oh okay, I did not remember their name, but the second I played this song I knew them doing it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6_hXjOBAMI&list=RDEM_hyvFZtEMNaxitOpKcl30g&start_radio=1

John Koenig:

bobk

Quote from: Sir-diealot on September 28, 2018, 07:44:50 PM
[

Earl Scruggs and Friends - Foggy Mountain Breakdown on youtube is worth listening to.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: bobk on September 28, 2018, 09:49:58 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on September 28, 2018, 07:44:50 PM
[/quote

Earl Scruggs and Friends - Foggy Mountain Breakdown on youtube is worth listening to.
I have a few of theirs on CD and that is one of them. Love it.

John Koenig:

Cut N Run

I'll second WBRF in Galax.  It is refreshing to have a great station dedicated to broadcasting quality music like they do.

We have the great good fortune of having the International Bluegrass Music Association's Wide Open Bluegrass Festival held in Raleigh for the past 5 consecutive years.  Matter of fact, the festival was this past Friday & yesterday.  My wife and I take Friday and Saturday off work to attend each year. It is awesome!

If you like Flatt & Scruggs music, check out The Earls of Leicester. They're excellent musicians and all are quite talented.  The Gibson Brothers play fairly traditional bluegrass.  Bill Monroe was the father of Bluegrass & I saw Bill & his band back in the early 70's at a small honky tonk about 20 miles from here. It was exactly what bluegrass is supposed to be & it was life altering.

I really like the band Hot Rize.  Their self titled album with the buttered biscuit on the cover from around 1980 is great.  Will the Circle Be Unbroken compilation by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band helped revive bluegrass and introduce new generations to the music. It is absolutely a very fine album.  I also love the Old and In The Way album with an all star cast. Look up Jim & Jesse and Ralph Stanley for more old time bluegrass.  Del MacCoury is also a great musician who has played bluegrass for almost as long as I've been alive.  I saw Vassar Clements in Yanceyville in 1995 and there was almost nobody else at the show.  He came out and personally thanked us for taking the time to drive as far as we did to come see him play.  No telling how many times I've seen Doc Watson.  He was extraordinary.

Anyway, I could go on & on. I hope some of this helps you find more music you enjoy.  Given a choice, Bluegrass is what I prefer to listen to. Enjoy.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Cut N Run on September 30, 2018, 09:57:03 PM
I'll second WBRF in Galax.  It is refreshing to have a great station dedicated to broadcasting quality music like they do.

We have the great good fortune of having the International Bluegrass Music Association's Wide Open Bluegrass Festival held in Raleigh for the past 5 consecutive years.  Matter of fact, the festival was this past Friday & yesterday.  My wife and I take Friday and Saturday off work to attend each year. It is awesome!

If you like Flatt & Scruggs music, check out The Earls of Leicester. They're excellent musicians and all are quite talented.  The Gibson Brothers play fairly traditional bluegrass.  Bill Monroe was the father of Bluegrass & I saw Bill & his band back in the early 70's at a small honky tonk about 20 miles from here. It was exactly what bluegrass is supposed to be & it was life altering.

I really like the band Hot Rize.  Their self titled album with the buttered biscuit on the cover from around 1980 is great.  Will the Circle Be Unbroken compilation by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band helped revive bluegrass and introduce new generations to the music. It is absolutely a very fine album.  I also love the Old and In The Way album with an all star cast. Look up Jim & Jesse and Ralph Stanley for more old time bluegrass.  Del MacCoury is also a great musician who has played bluegrass for almost as long as I've been alive.  I saw Vassar Clements in Yanceyville in 1995 and there was almost nobody else at the show.  He came out and personally thanked us for taking the time to drive as far as we did to come see him play.  No telling how many times I've seen Doc Watson.  He was extraordinary.

Anyway, I could go on & on. I hope some of this helps you find more music you enjoy.  Given a choice, Bluegrass is what I prefer to listen to. Enjoy.

Jim
Thanks bud I will be sure to check those out tomorrow, getting ready to go to bed after I finish reading stuff here. I really like The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, first heard of them when they released Dance Little Jean and had several of their CD's at one point, lost them when my truck caught fire several years ago.

John Koenig:

Bolandstrutters

Not traditional bluegrass, but Kentuckian Tyler Childers is taking over real traditional country music and has a lot of bluegrass influences.  Definitely worth checking out.  Generational type voice and song writer. 

Sir-diealot

I don't know if any of you have heard these kids before but they are mighty good. Sleepy Man Banjo Boys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB8UTheTR7s

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Bolandstrutters on October 01, 2018, 08:02:00 AM
Not traditional bluegrass, but Kentuckian Tyler Childers is taking over real traditional country music and has a lot of bluegrass influences.  Definitely worth checking out.  Generational type voice and song writer.
I'm sorry, I thought I had replied but had not. He is pretty good, I like his voice for sure.

John Koenig:

Big Guy

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Justin Johnson is a master of stringed instrument roots music.  Cigar box, oil can, shovel.  Guy can play anything.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ht1S0qkHK-0

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Big Guy on October 09, 2018, 10:57:34 PM
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Justin Johnson is a master of stringed instrument roots music.  Cigar box, oil can, shovel.  Guy can play anything.

Thanks. I both like it and don't like it at the same time. I like what he is playing but I have heard the same instruments played acoustically and prefer that more. Also not really bluegrass but it would just go into one of my other music lists. I do like it because it is neat what he is playing. The beginning of that sounds very very soulful and I like that. Oh I also like slide or bottleneck guitar so I like it that way. Always think of Dwayne Allman when I think of bottleneck guitar. I also tend to like some Folk and Blues as well. Huge Jim Croce fan, remember my dad listening to him when I was a kid and I still listen to him a lot. I like Buddy Guy and John Lee Hooker as well.

John Koenig:

Big Guy

Quote from: Sir-diealot on October 09, 2018, 11:11:32 PM
Quote from: Big Guy on October 09, 2018, 10:57:34 PM

Thanks. I both like it and don't like it at the same time. I like what he is playing but I have heard the same instruments played acoustically and prefer that more. Also not really bluegrass but it would just go into one of my other music lists. I do like it because it is neat what he is playing. The beginning of that sounds very very soulful and I like that. Oh I also like slide or bottleneck guitar so I like it that way. Always think of Dwayne Allman when I think of bottleneck guitar. I also tend to like some Folk and Blues as well. Huge Jim Croce fan, remember my dad listening to him when I was a kid and I still listen to him a lot. I like Buddy Guy and John Lee Hooker as well.
Maybe Split Lip Rayfield
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3M7nxN0USuA

William Elliott Whitmore is a local musician from Iowa.  Always try to catch him when he plays around here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QYQQ3dh_TgQ

I'll have to think about it some more.  Good music is still being made today.  Just have to look harder to find it.