OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Off topic music question

Started by Sir-diealot, September 20, 2018, 06:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I know this is not the norm here but we have a lot of gentleman from the South here and some of them older. I was hoping maybe somebody could tell me where I could find Bluegrass music online or could name some of the old bands or singers that were good back in the day. I know Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs, Ralph Stanley, Bill Monroe and to be honest not a lot more.

I do not want any of the newer so called "New Grass" artists, the sound is just not he same. I am also partial to Bluegrass Gospel. Thanks in advance.

Oh I should mention that I also love Appellation style music and the instruments used as well.

I do have this small list on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2C7FD51315774947
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

KentuckyHeadhunter

You named the ones that matter!  All good choices.  Ricky Skaggs is another one.  And sometimes I play Soggy Bottom Boys "man of constant sorrow". 
Also, not bluegrass, but check out Brad Paisley's version of You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive. 
Sorry last few beers went down like a fat kid on a see-saw.  :z-guntootsmiley:
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Sir-diealot

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on September 20, 2018, 07:11:25 PM
You named the ones that matter!  All good choices.  Ricky Skaggs is another one.  And sometimes I play Soggy Bottom Boys "man of constant sorrow". 
Also, not bluegrass, but check out Brad Paisley's version of You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive. 
Thanks, Ricky Skaggs is not to bad.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Sir-diealot

John Koenig:

Yoder409

Check ya out some Grandpa Jones and Stringbean.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

crow

Doc Watson, very good musician.
older style of Mt./bluegrass music

crow

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter link=
/quote]

they never really bounced like you thought they would when bottoming out.  :TooFunny:

right now Jamey Johnson and Alison Krauss are singing Seven Spanish Angels on u-tube, good version

Yoder409

You can find some really good Steve Martin stuff on YouTube, too.

INCREDIBLE banjer player !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

vthokie7227

Check out Take's Bluegrass Channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3HEfPXzoNc1dH-QMjlAGbQ). He's got all sorts of great albums on there. You've gotten some good suggestions so far. A couple names I would add would include Reno & Smiley, Jimmy Martin & the Sunny Mountain Boys, JD Crowe & the New South, Jim and Jesse McReynolds, The Osborne Brothers (note: NOT the Brothers Osborne), and The Country Gentleman. If you like guitar picking, check out Tony Rice. That man is probably the greatest guitarist to ever live. Another great guitarist to check out would be Norman Blake. He and Tony Rice have a could albums out (Titled: Blake and Rice) that are great. Some more recent groups (still active today) that still fit the classic bluegrass sound would include Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, Dailey & Vincent, Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper, Blue Highway, Russel Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out, Joe Mullins & the Radio Ramblers, and Terry Baucom & the Dukes of Drive. One cool thing I've found on YouTube is when you find an artist you like, search their name plus the word "topic". This usually brings up a channel for the given artist and often times you can find most of their albums.

vthokie7227

I just checked your playlist (probably should have done that to begin with). If you're looking for bluegrass gospel primarily, definitely check out both Doyle Lawson and Dailey & Vincent. Dailey and Vincent used to play with Doyle before forming their own band. Those two groups do some great gospel and their vocal harmonies and a cappella numbers are unreal. When it comes to the classic bluegrass sound though, the Stanley Brothers are hard to beat.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: vthokie7227 on September 20, 2018, 11:02:09 PM
I just checked your playlist (probably should have done that to begin with). If you're looking for bluegrass gospel primarily, definitely check out both Doyle Lawson and Dailey & Vincent. Dailey and Vincent used to play with Doyle before forming their own band. Those two groups do some great gospel and their vocal harmonies and a cappella numbers are unreal. When it comes to the classic bluegrass sound though, the Stanley Brothers are hard to beat.
No not strickly gospel, I am just rather partial to it, I like Bluegrass in general. I don't think there has been any real good country music since the 80's though, some, not much and have really gotten to where I listen to mostly old stuff.

I listen to opera and classical as well as old rock, Blues and some Heavy Metal but for this I would just like to know about Bluegrass, it is hard to find here in Yankeeville. lol about the only thing I don't listen to is Rap and I can honest say there have been a few songs from that that I have liked, but very, very few.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Yoder409 on September 20, 2018, 09:45:32 PM
Thanks, I will check them out shortly.

John Koenig:

wimp2

WEVL 89.9 fm , wevl.org bluff city barn dance, hillbilly jazz, 

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Yoder409 on September 20, 2018, 09:45:32 PM
Ah okay, I remember Grampa Jones, used to watch Hee Haw every week when I was a kid. I am liking Stringbean as well. Thanks.

John Koenig: