OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Box call suggestions

Started by Techn9cian02, September 13, 2018, 05:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techn9cian02

I've never been good with box calls but I'm beginning to build my call arsenal after selling them all last year. Looking into getting one short box and one longbox before the season starts next spring but I need a few suggestions, I'd like the short box to be fairly raspy and the longbox to have a higher pitched excited hen sound but I'm open to any ideas since I don't know much about box calls. Been hunting 9 seasons now and all I've got is a jake in 2011 and I had someone else call it in, so I could really use a little help here, Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy hooker

If you want rasp,,,I have a not huge but nice selection of box calls from the most notable makers out there.
Marlin watkins fiddle in Bloodwood over Apple is so uniquely raspy it's incredible nothing compares
Yes their $225 but you can get that back anytime you want on the swapboard but you won't want you will cherish it.

MDTOM84

Give Marlin Watkins a call and tell him what sounds you are looking for. He will tune a box how ever you want.

wvlimbhanger

As already mentioned contact marlin.  PM me if you want his #

I believe he has several shorboxes to get the rasp you wamt.
Mora butternut  and  Macassar ebony persimmon come to mind first.

Long box......about anything will fit your needs there but from what I've played serviceberry n cedar would fit your request quite nicely.

Preacherman snakewood persimmon short box would also be a fine option as well.

jryser

Ed Terefencko also makes amazing box calls. I have killed a pile of turkeys with both of mine.

paboxcall

Lots of great options. Search the turkey call forum for pics and sound files. One guy who builds great boxes is Mike at Spring Creek. He posts here regularly and includes sound files so you know what to expect. I own two of his hewn short boxes and they are both killer. Whomever you choose, practice then practice some more. Cadence is everything.

Turkeys just hammer the them.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

vt35mag

Whats your budget?

Short Box - Apple box from Marlin Watkins
Long Box - Jeff McKamey Bloodwood over Mineral Poplar

Chris O

A lot of it depends on your budget and time frame! Jeff White is selling a nice short box on the for sale section. I have this exact call and love it. For longboxes from what I have tried Ernie Fetters was my favorite and priced right also.

Techn9cian02

So I got on Marlin Watkins list today for a Mora over Blue Mahoe Fiddle box, after everything I've heard about his calls I literally can't wait for it to be done! Thank you to everyone who responded you were very helpful, probably getting a Long Box in a few weeks still undetermined who that will be through though

MDTOM84

Quote from: Techn9cian02 on September 14, 2018, 07:01:12 PM
So I got on Marlin Watkins list today for a Mora over Blue Mahoe Fiddle box, after everything I've heard about his calls I literally can't wait for it to be done! Thank you to everyone who responded you were very helpful, probably getting a Long Box in a few weeks still undetermined who that will be through though

that's a awesome combo!! You will love it!!

jryser

Quote from: Techn9cian02 on September 14, 2018, 07:01:12 PM

Really excited for you. I had high expectations for my Watkins call and was seriously blown away.  Such a fun group of people on this forum and are always helpful!!!

Bowguy

Ok here's where I'm gonna differ. If you're new you're likely to be more excitable. Maybe slightly less careful especially during a bird contact. Marlin Watkins is awesome. I'd say you'd not go wrong w em down the road. For day in day out hunting , being new ,the likelihood of losing or breaking a box rises. Don't think you'll get much after you stepped on it.
Ok so that being said either contact SS and tell Al what you want or a really raspy call is Hallorans purpleheart/cedar.
Longboxes I'd again stay w SS or McKamey.
Remember the most perfect sounding call won't work if the birds aren't around to hear it, you need to be w    the birds. Knowing how to run em or not run em is key also in raising your harvest numbers so work on that as well.
Plenty of great guys here to help. Best of luck