Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A couple Iowa regulation changes noticed!

Started by 1iagobblergetter, September 03, 2018, 01:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

Read the regulations,but I noticed the youth season is only 3 days (April 5,6,7)instead of I think it use to be 8 or 9 days. Also I see they changed the shot size to read 4 through 8 toxic or non toxic shot I believe is what it said.

GobbleGitr

Yep that is a fact.  The youth get to use a youth license during any season-which is excellent.  Originally they could not, which was reason for the long youth opener.  So now youth still get a few dedicated days but first season date is now tagged to second Monday of April, which is great for planning

chadly

I thought youth could use their tag any season in the past as well.  That is how it was explained to me at the state fair a few years ago.  Just like the deer tags.  If the youth did not fill the tag during the youth season they could use it during another season. 

GobbleGitr

Chadly, I was on the NWTF State Board when the original rule was passed with our urging, and at that time the youth could not use the tag outside the youth season.  Don't remember how many years ago they started allowing the tag to be used in all seasons...now this most recent change is preserving the ability for youth to use tag in any season, but also giving the regular season hunters a more concrete start date...the best of both worlds.  Good hunting!

2eagles

I'm pretty much in favor of the turkey regulations changes. The season will be starting a week earlier and remembering hunting first season in the snow two seasons lately, I do wonder about that. Size 7 shot will now be legal so we won't have to worry about using some of the newer shells.
Guys on an Iowa duck hunting forum are in a tizzy about shortening the youth season. They did the math and even considering using a tag through all four seasons, the kids lost four days. Hmmm.

1iagobblergetter

My Son has two years of youth season left before he's to old. With him being able to hunt all the other seasons if he doesn't tag out for youth season that's more 5han enough chance in my opinion.
With my math they lost more than 4 days,but still have the best of both worlds.
I do wish they would have allowed #9 shot though. Must be uneducated on new technology.???

GobbleGitr

The good news is the kids didn't lose weekends.  The majority of kids can't hunt during the week.  I also wished they would have allowed 9 shot...brought this up and think while Iowa is not an early adopter of the 9 shot, the data will speak for itself in the end.  Great to see some dialogue on this topic-good luck and I can't wait for Oct 16 for fall turkey opener

marshboy

Quote from: GobbleGitr on September 07, 2018, 09:31:19 PM
The good news is the kids didn't lose weekends.  The majority of kids can't hunt during the week.  I also wished they would have allowed 9 shot...brought this up and think while Iowa is not an early adopter of the 9 shot, the data will speak for itself in the end.  Great to see some dialogue on this topic-good luck and I can't wait for Oct 16 for fall turkey opener

Umm, the Youth season goes from 9 to 3 days...the kids go from 2 to 1 weekend.
I called the DRN, the word was too many complaints have been voiced by the adult hunters that the 9 day Youth season was having a profound impact on their hunting.
I've had my boy out for Youth season now 5 years, on public land, and haven't seen 5 other kids...

Chris O

Does the kid have to hunt with a adult with a valid tag for that season? Or could I take my son second season if he doesn't fill his youth tag and I have a tag for 3 rd season? Thanks I I just haven't looked at the regulations yet and sometimes I doubt how I read stuff.

chadly

Quote from: Chris O on September 10, 2018, 01:26:05 PM
Does the kid have to hunt with a adult with a valid tag for that season? Or could I take my son second season if he doesn't fill his youth tag and I have a tag for 3 rd season? Thanks I I just haven't looked at the regulations yet and sometimes I doubt how I read stuff.
Good question.  I did find out last year with deer hunting that my son filled his youth tag in youth season then was able to buy any other tags for any other seasons just as I could.  DNR said as long as I had a hunting license he was good.  Meaning I did not need to have a tag for the season he was hunting just a general hunting license.  My guess it would be the same for turkey.  But a phone call is going to have to be made to confirm that.   

Personally I would have like to have left it alone.  Turkey season gets pretty aggressive in my area on the public lands.  Even youth we have run into many people on the weekends.  Kids have little legs and its hard to walk a mile or more with a load on their back just to try to avoid others.  Youth season we have been able to kill some birds with out too much of a hike.  The birds are not near as skittish in the youth season.  Truthfully its easier than the other seasons.  That is by design.  It's the youth that we need to get interested in the sport to keep the funds flowing for the future of hunting.  Probably a very few adults loudly voiced their opinions.  It's not a win for my kids.  None the less we are very privileged here to have a bunch of great hunting lands and we will continue to enjoy them regardless of the rule changes.     

Chris O

Yeah I kind of wish it was left alone myself but we are fortunate to have a youth season anyway. It was nice to have 2 weekends though we don't get much time to hunt during the week.
Or if we had bad weather you had a chance to make up for it the following weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

You can take your kid with his youth tag all the other seasons if his tag is unfilled until he does fill it.

GobbleGitr

Marshboy your math is better than mine...that is right it will go to 1 weekend.  The fact that someone mentioned they saw so few kids out during youth season is a shame and the weather and cover that early don't help.  I'm not the world's greatest hunter but I help multiple kids get turkeys in all seasons...the youth season is nothing special except on public land, which in Iowa is still way less competition (thanks to high out of state cost) than other states I where I've hunted on public land.  This forum is an excellent example of what the DNR faces in trying to please hunters.  We all have our preferences and it is about recognizing the need to do the best thing for all people.  Enjoy your hunts, get some kids out.

jepcho

Haven't been on here in a couple weeks and missed this thread so I'm a little late to the conversation. I don't like the new changes to the season dates at all. I am bummed youth season got shortened, but to me, if they were going to do it, leave the start date for 1st season the same. I love hunting mid to late May and to have the season close on May 12th or whatever it is seems insane.