Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Your best sounding Steve Mann short box??

Started by Happy hooker, August 28, 2018, 06:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy hooker

My time on Steve's list is very close now right at two years in August.I definitely want a short box already have two longboxes. I'm leaning toward walnut butternut because that's one of the safest combos there is let alone what a true master can do with it. However I find it a little boring to look at.
Like to hear from you guys with multiple Mann's on what combo you have that you like the sound of.

Pooh4459

I only have one of his shortboxes but it's maple and red cedar and it's an awesome box.

slicksbeagles1

Walnut over chestnut is my favorite but they are all good

Greg Massey

I have one of his short boxes it's Black Walnut over cypress ... old growth wood ... he has only made a few cypress , it a rare box... it's a 20 checker box ...

MDTOM84

I talked to him a few months ago and he was really liking Walnut over mahogany. He said that the mahogany he has is some of the best he has seen in years.

vt35mag

I don't own any of his boxes, but I would suggest you ask him about what he is really into with the wood he currently has available.  The quality of wood the builder has WILL make all the difference between a good call and a smoking call. 
If he has some mahogany that is some of the best he has seen in years, I would be getting a mahogany combo of some sort. JMHO

NeverRoosting

Happy hooker

Anybody have his maple over mahogany,,I don't own anything with a maple paddle.

vaplowboy

I really like his yellow poplar with walnut paddle. My favorite is my snake wood and holly. It's a prototype.

gaswamp

Quote from: NeverRoosting on August 29, 2018, 09:45:26 AM
Great guy but not a fan of them

might not be the place for it but was just curious why...don't like the sound or the way the boxes play or other

NeverRoosting

Quote from: gaswamp on August 29, 2018, 07:49:47 PM
Quote from: NeverRoosting on August 29, 2018, 09:45:26 AM
Great guy but not a fan of them

might not be the place for it but was just curious why...don't like the sound or the way the boxes play or other

PM sent

Britton40

Quote from: vaplowboy on August 29, 2018, 06:39:38 PM
I really like his yellow poplar with walnut paddle. My favorite is my snake wood and holly. It's a prototype.

I agree. Those are my two favorites.

The mahogany he has at the moment is air dried and pretty old. Very hard to find air dried mahogany.